What does carbon take out?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
I know carbon takes out medicine and discolor, but what beneficial things does it take out and how long should it be used for at a time?

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Its been debated quite a few times over the years that activated carbon will deplete trace element's from the water, however, there has still not been any substantial eveidence to show that carbon is any worst that skimming for removing trace elements..

Personaly, i dont run carbon, never have unless i need too...My feeling on carbon is that it should only be used when removing meds or there is a need to polish the water. On average, depending on the quality of the product, it should be changed about every 6 weeks if used as a continual filter media...

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
See, I am the opposite. Carbon particularly absorbs organic compounds. These molecules have more "affinity" for the carbon's pores than anything else. That means that it can remove phenolic compounds, tannins (what make water yellow), terpenoids, etc. Basically the toxins and chemicals that are frequently released by corals to wage "war" or simple byproducts. This includes things exuded by bacteria and algae, as well. That makes for a lot of dissolved organic carbon or DOC, something that should be present in much lesser amounts. Due to all of this, as far as I'm concerned, I prefer to run carbon 24/7 to ensure these things are minimized. As far as trace elements go, that shouldn't be something to worry too much about. While there has been debate as to whether it removes trace elements or not, the truth is that it varies from tank to tank and the effect is actually quite minimal (the same goes for protein skimming). The only way carbon will remove these elements is if they are complexed or chelated with some organic compound, which does happen, but wouldn't make up the bulk of the compound in solution. That goes on top of saying that most salt mixes have a serious overabundance of most "trace elements"-- too much in many cases, so removing some is hardly a problem, IMHO.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I prefer to use Purigen for preventing chemical warfare in my mixed reef tanks. It is not that expensive (3 bags that treat 50g ea, are < $20) & can be recharged 3x. They will not remove trace elements.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I go both ways.. use Purigen AND Chemi-Pure in my first chamber. I have never noticed anything odd with my water parameters.. but I am the odd ball here by doing 5G in water changes a day of natural sea water in my 29G reef.

Personally, I really thought carbon was just used to remove meds and that "fishy" smell in the water. Thanks to Amphiprion I now know it does more than just that. You seem like quite a bundle of knowledge there Amphiprion.. glad you decided to come back.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I go both ways.. use Purigen AND Chemi-Pure in my first chamber. I have never noticed anything odd with my water parameters.. but I am the odd ball here by doing 5G in water changes a day of natural sea water in my 29G reef.

Personally, I really thought carbon was just used to remove meds and that "fishy" smell in the water. Thanks to Amphiprion I now know it does more than just that. You seem like quite a bundle of knowledge there Amphiprion.. glad you decided to come back.
Purigen is another great option--it is just too pricey for my tastes (same goes for the chemipure), even if it is rechargeable. Your combination seems to be a good one, so I would stick with what you are using.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Another reason I like Purigen is it comes prepackaged for 50g. I hate trying to get thet messy, black, dusty carbon into those bags!

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
I used to run carbon until I read that carbon can leak back into the tank and affect fish like tangs cant remember what exactly but I took it out just so to be safe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store