What does it take to make & run a forum?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kasakato

SatCan
Sep 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I got $6US payed yearly. Thats $90CAN a year. Heres the actual transcript:

i can do that, however he will have to get his own domain (i suggest godaddy.com) and because i'm going so low, this would be on the techozone server (I will be making upgrades to the server so it will go faster soon), and last once i get my new hosting business up and going, i would appreciate a link back to my website (www.ZiteNet.com)

Tell me if you like the deal. Its 500mb of space with 500GB of traffic.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Matak said:
Scotto, that's pretty cool. Do you pay a monthly fee for hosting?
I'm not positive. I missed a couple of meetings this year. I'm pretty sure that it is a one time yearly fee.

I can check it out though if you want me to.

Tom Griffin

AC Members
Aug 18, 2000
Cleveland, OH, USA
www.tomsfish.net
Might as well jump in on this

I offer the folowing package

500 megs of storage space...more than most smaller sites will ever need.
unmetered bandwidth (but if it uses 50 gigs a month i might get antsy)
PHP, Python, CGI and more
Full FTP
Full Secure Shell access
Default security certificate available
a wide library of available scripts for almost anything...including PHPBB2 which will satisfy your forum needs nicely.
POP and Webmail based Email
Much Much more

And I supply a free domain name

50 bucks US a year.

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
Sounds good Tom. My next step is to contact the owner and try to sell him on the idea of launching this. If I need the hosting sevices, I will contact you regarding this.

Thanks!

Walrus

Beatles fanatic
Jan 4, 2002
Missouri
Microsoft's SharePoint Services might also be an option. Check out the link below for in depth details. SharePoint is much more useful for a business than a forum would be. Think of SharePoint Services as a multi-function tool as opposed to a forum thats a unitasker. SharePoint Services is included with Windows Server 2003 so your only cost is the license for the OS (assuming you have a corporate network infastructure).

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/sharepoint/top10.mspx

Matt

PS -- There are also other open source portal solutions available just search Google for "portals" and see what you get.

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
Thanks Walrus, but this would be more laid back than that. More of a freindly information exchange between independent dealers than a head office corporate thingy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store