!$%#@ What does NOT belong in this photo?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Grins... If it makes you feel better, those clearish / whitish flat worms came along on our wall hammer. At the time, I was so new to the hobby that I didn't even know that I should have been looking for hitchhiking pests other than hairy crabs and mantis shrimp. I didn't want to dip it, as I was too afraid to damage the coral at that point, too. Believe it or not, but I actually picked each one off by hand using a plastic spoon. It took me a couple of weeks to get all of them, but since removing the last of them over a year ago, I've yet to see anymore. I was perhaps fortunate as they really liked the wall hammer and hadn't spread to any other corals. The ones we had definitely prefered to be near the edge where the living tissue meets the skeleton, which made it easier to spot and remove them.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
fsn77, its how we learn in what is best to do as we move a long. I when the time comes to start will have the corals and fish in the QT for not less then six weeks for I see it often, others who use a QT, not keep their new arrivals in as long. A matter a fact, many only keep them in a QT for a week or two only and they move their new arrivals quickly into their main tanks.

I hope when the time comes for me with my vision failing me somewhat, that I manage to do the right thing for it does have me somewhat a bit concern to where my limits will be. So being that as it may that my eyes aren't all as good as they should be, my plan is that while the coral and fish remain in the QT for those weeks, I will often takes macro close up shots to see better if anything is lurking around (Hitchhikers) as well as any possible problem which could affect the corals. Its the only way I have these days to view better in the corals heath that I will have prior before placing them into the main display tanks.

Buddy

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Getting back to the red planaria, what danger does it pose to the tank and how does one get rid of it?

(Edit: Looking at Melev's Reef, the great danger appears to be when they die off, releasing a deadly toxin. Are you going to try the poisoning method recommended here?)

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
FSN: I've seen whitish clear ones before but these are definitely a pinkish brown color. They I tried a baster to get a few and managed but it is too strong for it, I should have tried a pipette. Even though with the way a hammer retracts I'm considering using Salifert's Flatworm Exit. I'll continue with manual removal until I decide. Luckily I don't seem to have a plague of them.

Wayne: Now imagine stumbling upon one when you weren't expecting it.

Buddy: I typically do QT longer but this time I took a chance knowing the tank it came from before. It obviously didn't pay off for me.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Getting back to the red planaria, what danger does it pose to the tank and how does one get rid of it?

(Edit: Looking at Melev's Reef, the great danger appears to be when they die off, releasing a deadly toxin. Are you going to try the poisoning method recommended here?)
Some of the dangers include them being able to get to plague proportions so quickly. So much so that they can form mats blocking light to a coral. Light they obviously need. At this point I'm leaning towards using Flatworm Exit by Salifert and running carbon along with it. I don't believe I have enough for the toxins to be a problem but I'll run the carbon anyhow. In the meantime I'll be removing what I can with a pipette.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
typically do QT longer but this time I took a chance knowing the tank it came from before. It obviously didn't pay off for me.
It was just a bit of bad luck and nothing more for this hobby can be quite unpredictable at times that what we figure to go so smoothly and then something happens. All of what we do in our home with aquariums is only a false make up of what is in our oceans. Like those who get ick most of the time, in our tanks, there be no bug of any kind, only when we add new arrivals into our tank do we possibly add almost any type of parasite or hitchhiker. Even when I do QT for as long as six weeks, it not guarantee that all will be great other then that I keep my fingers crossed and pray for the best.
Within all those years that I keep FO systems, I only once at the start had to medicate the main tank due to ick. It was after that when i did keep a QT for which I never again wanted to administrate any medications into the main tanks for which then, it would take months or longer before I could add any new fish to the tank.

So again, were in a hobby that could be very unpredictable at times and we much assume that almost anything could and can happen. All we can do is our very best for the inhabitants were keeping.

Buddy

Morel

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Sorry to hear that Grins :(

Couldn't you put a trap next to it and see if you can coax them out? this may be a extreamly noob question but meh.. lol

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
If you're going to use flatworm exit Grins, I'd use it now before they start multiplying like mine have!!!!. I won't use exit because if you have too many the toxins released when they die can harm your tank. Apparantly it's also illegal to sell it over here now but i can't remember why!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store