What eats snails eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ShadowBeast

AC Members
Aug 10, 2010
I have a bunch of pond and ramshorn snails breeding in my tanks and was wondering what will eat the egg sacks on the aquarium walls.

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
What invert or what fish?

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I know what you're talking about. I just got some new plants and there were snails on them. I'm going to get some zebra loaches when my tank cycles, hoping they will eat the eggs and whatever snails. I don't mind a few, they're cute, I just don't want to get over run with them.

ShadowBeast

AC Members
Aug 10, 2010
I know what you're talking about. I just got some new plants and there were snails on them. I'm going to get some zebra loaches when my tank cycles, hoping they will eat the eggs and whatever snails. I don't mind a few, they're cute, I just don't want to get over run with them.
yeah I got these by these guys by plants too, and i've already got too many Trumpet Snails in the one tank but they don't leave eggs around everywhere.
Zebra loaches look cute but i've read that they will at other fish fins.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Assassin snails! They look neat, but grow and breed slowly unlike other snails. I've had a problem with ramshorn, trumpet snails, and pond snails taking over my planted tank. These assassin snails really keep the population under control, but don't completely eliminate them. Also, when I do have young assassins, I never have an issue finding others that want to buy or trade something for them!
As far as the egg sacks left by the pest snails, I'd just wipe them off with your finger if they're in an easy to reach place. I have witnessed my young assassins many times sucking the eggs out of the clusters that other snails have laid though! Usually I see this when I'm getting ready to rehome some, I collect them in a floating plastic breeder that often has snail eggs in it, and they really take care of them even when I've added a few other feeder snails in there. The smaller assassins seem to think those eggs are a treat!
I find chemicals to get rid of snails to be too risky and harsh. Hope this helps and good luck!

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
yeah I got these by these guys by plants too, and i've already got too many Trumpet Snails in the one tank but they don't leave eggs around everywhere.
Zebra loaches look cute but i've read that they will at other fish fins.
Trumpet Snails (aka MTS) are live barers and don't leave eggs anywhere.

When My tank gets too amny I usually Tade them off for shipping.

Best whishes,
Wes

ShadowBeast

AC Members
Aug 10, 2010
Assassin snails! They look neat, but grow and breed slowly unlike other snails. I've had a problem with ramshorn, trumpet snails, and pond snails taking over my planted tank. These assassin snails really keep the population under control, but don't completely eliminate them. Also, when I do have young assassins, I never have an issue finding others that want to buy or trade something for them!
As far as the egg sacks left by the pest snails, I'd just wipe them off with your finger if they're in an easy to reach place. I have witnessed my young assassins many times sucking the eggs out of the clusters that other snails have laid though! Usually I see this when I'm getting ready to rehome some, I collect them in a floating plastic breeder that often has snail eggs in it, and they really take care of them even when I've added a few other feeder snails in there. The smaller assassins seem to think those eggs are a treat!
I find chemicals to get rid of snails to be too risky and harsh. Hope this helps and good luck!
I actually got an Assassin a few weeks ago and saw him crawling around not too long ago I only got one so he/she won't breed since I can't tell the gender and was afraid they'll eliminate all my MTS.
I've heard that ghost shrimp will go after snail eggs though.

ShadowBeast

AC Members
Aug 10, 2010
Trumpet Snails (aka MTS) are live barers and don't leave eggs anywhere.

When My tank gets too amny I usually Tade them off for shipping.

Best whishes,
Wes
yeah I plan to sell some off, I just need to straighten around some things and figure out how many to sell, I'll try selling some of those ramshorns & ponds too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store