What happened to refrigerated BioSpira??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Octavarium

Ambassador to Cephalopods
Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
Used 10 years or so ago, was amazing how quick it worked. Only one LFS near me used to stock few in fridge. Only product that ever actually helped cycle tank in day or less (I DO use small amount of gravel/medium from already established tanks too). Dont care what anyone says "cycle" touted by all pet shop employees when I was a kid never ever worked, I believe it at best to be dead bacteria.

So I've been away from hobby for years until lately, and was just curious why they did away with such an effective product? To the best of my understanding its formula is now Safe Start and can sit at room temp? Does it actually work them same as far as actual living nitrosoma bacteria if any used the old bio spira? I just want to keep some on tap and in case I end up doing a few more tanks ;) You know how 1 tank can turn to 10 in no time! Anyones thoughts? Or is there a new product that has high yield living bacteria that is new during my tankless years?

Kaliska

AC Members
Dec 6, 2015
I've never used any of that. Once I have a tank cycled, which just means filling it with water, surfaces for bacteria to grow on, and an ammonia food source for a month, I just keep seeding new tanks and often stock them that day. Slip a sponge off that holder and put it on this holder and add fish/shrimp/crayfish/snails. I'm not sure if it's just my area but sponge filters have become a bit of the latest craze. Much like when we went from undergravel to hob. Everyone is setting up massive air systems to run sponges in every tank of their aquarium room off one or 2 air pumps. I've been running some tanks on them but I have to say I'll take a canister for my bigger and more permanent setups. The sponges work fine for my little tanks with light stocking or taken down and put up repeatedly but they are actually more work to keep clean in my opinion. Going back to seeding tanks though it does make it convenient when you are running all the same sponge design on every tank. Most of mine are a 2 sponge system so I can always change just one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store