what happened ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ross_328

AC Members
Aug 29, 2006
when i came home form work 2 night i noticed my gold fish wasnt swimming aroun on closer inspection i noticed he had passed :sad: away but i noticed that his stomach was swollen what does this indicate

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
It indicates that he could have died from dropsy. Can we get some information about the tank?

Malbri

User
Dec 11, 2006
Bloated? I dont know much about goldfish but what are your water parameters

Ross_328

AC Members
Aug 29, 2006
Tanks was very small and so was the goldfish this was the only fish in the tank with no plants.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
if it was very small, then the goldfish died from waste bulidup because you have too small a tank. fancy goldfish need a tank of at least 30 gallons for one (adult size is 8"), and regulars should have 70 gallons for one (adult size is 16").

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Well,it's a leap to conclude waste build up did it without seeing some proof such as ammonia/nitrites/nitrate readings, size of tank, how long established, water change and maintenance schedult cycling method and numerous other issues. Though it is a possibility.

So are temperature, genectics, illness and several others.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
rbishop said:
Well,it's a leap to conclude waste build up did it without seeing some proof such as ammonia/nitrites/nitrate readings, size of tank, how long established, water change and maintenance schedult cycling method and numerous other issues. Though it is a possibility.

So are temperature, genectics, illness and several others.
you're right... I guess I just sort of assumed, because it seems like most of the cases I see daily...

anyway, can you give us your water params?

Ross_328

AC Members
Aug 29, 2006
no am sorry i dont have anything to measure the water parametrs all i know is the water used came straight from the tap nothing was ever added.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
If the water you use is from a system, it very likely contains chlorine or chloramine, both detrimental to a fish.

Also, goldfish are messy, and like all fish, need their water changed frequently to remove harmful waste products.

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
fishcatch22 said:
you're right... I guess I just sort of assumed, because it seems like most of the cases I see daily...

anyway, can you give us your water params?
You should never assume things and give out information as factual based on that assumption. That could very well cause harm to fish if ppl take that advice and it is wrong.

Ross328, You may want to invest in a quality freshwater master test kit such as aquarium pharmaaceuticals so you can test your tank water and do maintenance as necessary to keep the levels safe for the fish. As others have said, one fancy goldfish should be kept in no les that 29 g, with ten addtitional g per each added fancy goldfish. Comets and Koi should only be kept in pondas as they grow extremely large.

As to why your fish died, could have been several things. Sorry to hear about your loss. My reccomendation to you is to read up on the tank size and needs of goldfish and go from there if you intend on purchasing another one.

As RBishop stated, if you are on a municipal water system, you need to add a dechlorinator to your water you use for changes to prvent destroying your biofilter. If you have your own well at home, you dont have to use a dechlorinator if you do not have a "chlorinator" on your well.

HTH
Blue

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store