What if......?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
egg crate is the (usually) white plastic sheet used as a diffuser for 4' fluorescent lights; about 1/2" thick, solid-looking on edge, a grid of ~1/2" squares when looking at the face. usually by the fluorescent fixtures in 2' x 4' sheets, along with the other kinds of diffusers you can put in a 4' fixture.

practice the lash-batting to cover the first couple of weeks until the plants grow in and the water cycles

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
you need to rough out the design of the "box" you're going to built; .i doubt that you would need more than 2 2'x4' sheets in a 55. you're just building a box with a top and side and back (and maybe front) walls held together for instance with zip ties. you don't need to build a solid mound

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
eggcrate is always, at every home depot or lowes I've been to, on a low shelf at ankle level. Not sure why, but it is. It's usually in the precut sheet goods isle, not with lighting.

I would imagine you'll only need a single sheet... building a box with it is the way to go.

and here's the secret to working with it: cut it with a screwdriver. You can use snips to break the pieces, but if you need to cut a straight line, the easiest, fastest way is to stand the sheet on end and push a screw driver down real hard, breaking the bits between the piece you want and the piece you don't want. it takes so much work out of it.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Mine was in the aisle with the lighting fixtures although I had to grab individual "sheets" out of a box so I missed them the first time...I cut mine with kitchen scissors although it wasn't the cleanest cuts and lots of shards to pick up. Was quick though!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store