What is a great anemone partner for a clownfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

missc4

Fishy love
Mar 14, 2007
VA
From what i have read and understand about this subject is that most Anemones are wild caught and should stay in the ocean. You should really consider how you are affecting the oceans ecosystem especially in this hoppy. Think of the Clown fish in the wild that died because its host is no longer there. That being said i really what one too but am holding off until i find one that is tank propped and my system is fully mature. This is my oppinion i'll someone else who knows more tell you which ones are best.

Your reply made me laugh out loud..

heywally

AC Members
Mar 1, 2007
Bellingham, WA
I looked twice and couldn't find the joke.
I couldn't either but I have an off-beat sense of humor.

I'm researching what I need to know to set up a 46 gallon reef - I'm months away. I want to stock it with all (if I can) captive grown life ( and 'farmed' LR and sand) and am having a hard time id'ing commercial places that sell aquacultured anem's so I guess the best source of non-wild ones will be from other reef people?

txaggies07

My fish are happy...i think
Dec 22, 2006
College Station, TX
I like bubble tip anemones. I have one in each of my SW tanks. My two maroon clowns host one and my tomato clown hosts the other. The maroons and the tomatos just love the bubble tips. My maroons are tank raised and they picked up the anemone the second they went in the tank.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
HeyWally, very noble way to go about it. Yes, your local reef club would be a fantastic source I'd think. Mine has a vendor that is very good about this as well and promotes CB stock in his store. He sells online as well. His store is www.coraldynamics.com I think. If not, PM me and I'll find it. Not sure he has nems at the moment. All in all I'd still check my local reef club first.

missc4

Fishy love
Mar 14, 2007
VA
I looked twice and couldn't find the joke.

What I thought was funny Grins was the way he talked about the eco system and the poor clown that died because it's host was gone.
It was almost like a lecture on why not to get one,and then he says with that being said I wont one..
It was just funny the way he put it.

heywally

AC Members
Mar 1, 2007
Bellingham, WA
HeyWally, very noble way to go about it. Yes, your local reef club would be a fantastic source I'd think. Mine has a vendor that is very good about this as well and promotes CB stock in his store. He sells online as well. His store is www.coraldynamics.com I think. If not, PM me and I'll find it. Not sure he has nems at the moment. All in all I'd still check my local reef club first.
Excellent - thanks. I wanted to set up a reef tank a long time ago but couldn't justify taking marine life out of the wild (everything that goes with that) and then with a good chance of stuff dying (especially back then).

I'm comfortable enough now that I can do it with minimal impact so I'm pretty excited to give it a try. Gradually building my knowledge from the forums here and a few other places.

Lots of great info here!

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Have you ever heard of a clownfish partnered with a frogspawn coral?

:)

The only bad things about them hosting corals (like frogspawn) is that the coral pulls itself in at night, so they host a stump, which is pretty pathetic, and that it seems to stunt the corals extension from all the rubbing around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store