What is the friendliest and least fish hungry Cichlid?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

laevisland

AC Members
Feb 6, 2010
Connecticut
www.bethsbargains.net
I'm debating getting a few dwarf cichlids for my endler tank. It also has cherry shrimp, cories, and a pleco (or will). Are there any cichlids that either by themselves or in pairs won't eat these guys and won't go too crazy eating fry? Thanks!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I have found the kadango cichlid to be very peaceful. They are a Malawi cichlid. AKA Copadichromis borleyi or red fin. Not sure about their interaction with RCS. Will likely eat them.

texasguy

AC Members
May 13, 2009
what size is the tank?

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
Keyholes, gbr's,apistos and kribs are all pretty mellow. Also, rainbow cichlids and african butterfly cichlids are pretty mellow.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Most dwarf cichlids get big enough that they'd probably eat all but the completely mature cherries. However, shelldwellers (multis) are small enough to only eat baby shrimp, and only very small livebearer fry.

laevisland

AC Members
Feb 6, 2010
Connecticut
www.bethsbargains.net
The tank is 29 gallons. I thought someone had said they had a pair of rams with endlers. I know absolutely nothing about cichlids. I just starting considering it today and am going to a fish auction tomorrow, so trying to educate myself quickly. I also have no idea how they are normally priced!

texasguy

AC Members
May 13, 2009
You could go with some rams, and I think checkerboards might work(those two are all that come to mind at the moment) but most cichlids of any size will eat shrimp

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Bolivian rams are hardier than blue rams and super "wet pet" friendly...they're not shy at all. They'll likely eat fry, but they won't bother the adults at all (I've kept endlers with them in the past...never had any fry reach adult age, though, but my tank was a 20 long at the time). In your 29, if you have floating plants, some endler fry will likely survive.

Eric

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store