what is the smalllest sait water tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

votek

AC Members
Feb 20, 2003
New York
Visit site
Those will work.

You can even run a 10g - like me, with a couple fish in them, maybe some damsels, c-b shrim, some hermit crabs. Not expensive and will break your tank in.

Mine is overstocked but not for long-term plans.

Satchmo

AC Members
May 28, 2001
NJ, 16E
No such thing as too small, but it gets more and more difficult the smaller you go. Check this out: http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21015

You'll have to register to view the pics. Antoher guy I know has a "shotquarium." It's a shot glass with some LS and a mushroom. A little silly if you ask me, but it illustrates just how far the envelope can be pushed. I run a 10g that's been going for about a year. It's chocked full of life and doing great.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
For a first timer, I always recomend going with the biggest tank you can--the 35, in your case. While you can go small, there are several problems facing a newbie. First, small tanks are not as stable. Larger tanks won't have fluctuations in salinity daily--evaporation in a small tank can kill. Second, cycling a large tank is easier, because you have more room for bacteria to grow, and a larger volume of water to dilute spikes. Third, one of the biggest problems with SW is buying an animal that will far exceed the capacity of the tank. Bad enough when you're dealing with a 55, but outrageous when you're taking about something less than 2 cubic feet.

So, yep, there are some tiny tanks out there. They look cool, but they require daily attention, and careful planning. For a newbie, something a little more forgiving is more likely to result in a happy hobbyist.

Mandairn

AC Members
Feb 24, 2003
mn
Visit site
OrionGirl is 100% right

Im starting sw in a 30 gl tank (due to the weight). I would recomend that your go with a wet dry (tircle) filter. It will let you have more lee way for fluctuations. Plus it will give you more room for bacteria that will grow on your media (so when you change your media dont do them all at once).

In my tank I plan to keep one yellow tail damsil, one royal gamma, one flame hawkfish and one dwarf anglefish;) (i dont know which one).

Replying to your question eny tank of water can be salt water tank. Though If you plan on keeping fish the bigger the better, If you plan on keeping coral.... i know too little about to really say, but ill say any way, for coral only 30 w/wet dry is best.

i hOpe ThIs HeLPED

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store