What is this algea? good / bad?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
The main problem is that the algae can overrun and choke out corals.

Blue leg and scarlet hermits will help. I get the impression you have plenty of those already. Emerald crabs will also help.
Making sure your skimmer is running efficiently will reduce the amount of waste available for the algae. I hear lawnmower blennies are good, but have no personal experience.

I see you have a wet/dry. Make sure that there is a prefilter to keep debris out of the bioballs, and that the prefilter is cleaned regularly. Wet/dry systems can be a big source of nitrate, which feeds algae problems.

BuGGaPimp5.0

AC Members
Feb 27, 2004
Miami, FL
Visit site
Originally posted by mogurnda

I see you have a wet/dry. Make sure that there is a prefilter to keep debris out of the bioballs, and that the prefilter is cleaned regularly. Wet/dry systems can be a big source of nitrate, which feeds algae problems.
Thanks Dave,

I just finished removing the last of the bioballs yesterday. I slowly removed them daily to not make such a big impact on the environment. I do have a prefilter up top as well as a carpet filter right where the water enters my wet dry. Hopefully since i removed the bio balls it will help kill this algea faster. Thanks!

M-pire

Foosballer
Dec 9, 2003
Lexington, Kentucky
I have been going through some tough times with hair algae too. I have plenty of hermits, snails and emerald crabs, but they couldn't keep it under control completely. It seems like it has to be really really short for them to be able to eat it. So I scrubbed the rocks where the algae was every day with an old toothbrush. It has been very helpfull so far. The algae is still growing back some, but less and less each time. Also, if you take a rock out an rinse it/scrub it in freshwater the algae all dies off...but so does probably everything else. Take care of the nitrate, phosphate first, but you might try the tooth brush if nothing else works. :)

Guy W

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Naples, FL
I had serious hair algea problems when I started my tank with Dechlorinated Tap water. Once I switched to RO/DI and did a few big water changes, it all cleared up.

I assume there was phosphates or something in my tap water, but I never checked it. Just bought an RO/DI and all was good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store