What is this? Fungus? Bacterial? Excess slime?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Saje

AC Members
Sep 27, 2009
New York
Aaaa, pfffff. I could handle it. ;) I only SEEM like a neurotic mess. I tend to rise to the occasion when needed. <lol> Not so sure about her, however - I bet she'd lose all her color for days. But seriously, my very biggest concern about putting anything - neosporin, peroxide, whatever - on is that if you look at the pics you see just how close it is to her gills. If it was on her body, I think I'd be saying I'd do it.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
that is QUITE a significant improvement.

I think this thread is an excellent example. Hopefully within 48 hours the spot will be gone. I doubt I would notice it all at this point if you didn't have the arrows.

What a lucky fish to have you!!

Saje

AC Members
Sep 27, 2009
New York
:) Thanks so much!! Now, just tell *her* that. She thinks I'm all right when I'm giving food, but she is one aggressive little betta! None of my males are this bad! Lord help me if I put my fingers/hands in the tank for water changes etc - catch her in the wrong mood and she nails me! Little stink. OH to have the confidence (is that confidence, or stupidity? ;) ) to go after something a quadrillion times bigger than you! <lol>

But seriously - thank you. And yup - I think it's a lot improved too! TOTALLY invisible to the naked eye.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
She is one awesome, feisty little girl. And I'm teasing about you... I know you could do anything for her that she needed. :) You are an awesome BettaMommy.

I don't think she would like you to dab anything on her head, not one bit, and I agree with Jinkzie that in 48 hours you probably won't be able to see a smidgen of that lesion, even with your macro lense.

You really have worked tirelessly to save her. She is one fortunate little girl.

Last edited:

Saje

AC Members
Sep 27, 2009
New York
Thanks so much, Mel, really.
You really have worked tirelessly to save her
As have you! Without your careful step-by-step instructions for me and staying in close contact so I knew what best to do next, I wouldn't have had a clue. Thank you SO much for that - from both of us.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
You are so welcome, but you are too generous with your kind words; I'm just "paying it forward", helping you as others here have helped me. :)

We all are delighted to see a sick fish get well! You are the reason she's better. As soon as we're sure she's completely over this we'll break out the champaign!!

Last edited:

Saje

AC Members
Sep 27, 2009
New York
Okay. New pics. Today should be the last re-dose of Kanaplex if I'm doing it (along with a 25% WC). So what do you think? It looks mostly gone in the first pic, in the second I can see it if I look ridiculously hard. So, one more dose today? Or not?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
I've been gone all day, literally, until just a little while ago. I'm sorry that I wasn't here to respond to your inquiry earlier. Yes, I believe that this should be the last dose.

Hopefully we won't be able to see any white at all in a day or so, but in any case I would let this dose be the last dose. We just need to watch her very carefully for a while to make sure the lesion doesn't start coming back.

I would also start easing back on the salt, with the next water change after this one. Go to 1/2 teaspoon per gallon for a couple of days, and then to 1/4 per gallon, and then to none.

Keep the temp under 77, preferably at 75F for a few more days as you back off the salinity.

I know you will be vigilant as you keep an eye on her for any changes, but I think she's out of the woods. As always, perfect parameters are vital.

I would go to a variety of good food for her now, some frozen blood worms, and good Betta food, and your usual good routine of a pea and fasting once a week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store