What is this on my live rock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shopper

AC Members
Jul 16, 2007
This is growing in my live rock. If I get near it, it withdraws inside the rock then comes back out again. It multiplies pretty quickly and has taken over all of the rocks. Also, how do I get rid of it?

IMAG0072.jpg

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
Aiptasia, kill it all now! I have found Red Sea AiptasiaX to be the best product and easiest to use. Good luck.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
geez.. with that many I would just take the rock out and drop it in a bucket of vinegar and then rinse VERY well after. That is a severe infestation you have.

About Aiptasia X, and these mirror my experience as well:

I have used Aiptasia-X for a while now and have learned several things.

1. It is not reef safe if you are messy. Do not allow it to drip or touch any corals in your aquarium or it may kill them.
2. It does kill Aiptasia's HOWEVER getting the Aiptasia to eat it is almost impossible as the Aiptasia will hunker down to prevent it's own death.
3. I found that putting a puddle of this product over the anem kills the majority of it BUT does NOT kill the entire thing and it may become several small Aiptasia's afterwords.
4. Aiptasia-X apparently is not going to finish it's job.

This stinks,
maybe they should change the name to Majano-X. I've run several trials with this stuff it does not work for aiptasia. At best I'd give it a 25% success rate. I did another run in my 6 gallon 3 weeks ago and its only succesful at retreating the aiptasia for a few days and forcing them to move locations.
I had about 3 or aiptasia, so I got some Aiptasia-X from my lfs. At first it looked like it worked great. The suckers took it in like they were eating, and I never saw them again for about 2 or 3 weeks. Then, I saw a little bit come back. And then more.

xDetroitMetalx

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Moro, OR
can these also be a bluish see through color?
There are many different types of Aptasia. The ones I've personally seen is the brownish kind, as seen here... A white type, which I thought looked cool. Last but not least a green type.

Although, some desirable coral kind of sorta looks like them to a beginner, so be careful.

If it's a smaller tank Peppermint shrimp will clear them out fairly fast in groups. Although they are reported to eat polyps after the aptasia is all eaten. I have 3 in my 20 gallon, they don't mess with any of my desired corals and eat brine shrimp.

For larger tanks a File Fish is a possibility. Although the same is reported for them as the shrimps.

Copperband Butterfly Fish also are known to eat aptasia, but I would never recommend one. They are very anemic.

As for AiptasiaX you have to do it every day to get anywhere with it.

snupa

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey, USA
Ok so it seems like there are a few ways to get rid of this and none of them are fully effective. I also read you can inject them with lemon juice?

I'm considering either getting a peppermint shrimp and letting him clean up, or Aiptasia X or Joe's Juice (has anyone used this one before? any better than A X?)

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
Everything I cna think of that will kill Aiptasia will kill desirable corals if it lands on them.

In my experience Joe's Juice is like Aiptasia X, you need to jam the applicating needle into the aiptasia to kill them, not feed it to them. The problem with Joe's Juice is that it is chalky, so you need to shake it a lot, the applicator gets clogged easily, etc.

I treated a customer's tank recently with Aiptasia X. I know no one else is doing anything to it so I will have to see how well it worked. any that seemed to have stopped scrunching up and were half inflated I hit again untl they looked completely melted. I will see how well they did.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
We always use lemon juice ourselves. Works well as long as you get it into the aiptasia and not on it.

shopper

AC Members
Jul 16, 2007
Thank you!!

Thank you all for your input. I applied the Aiptasia X on Saturday to about 90% of them. Seems to work so far. I did the other 10% today. I'm also adding a file fish today in hopes it will take care of any I can't see between the rocks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store