What is too much light?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Hi guys,

Is a 13W spiral fluorescent bulb to much for low light plants in a 2.5 gallon tank?

I'm planning on planting it with anubias, cryptocoryne, amazon frogbit and marimo moss ball. The substrate is Caribsea Peace River. One small piece of mopani wood and some smooth river stones.

What you guys think?

Here's the tank I'm planning this on:
20160707_202522.jpg

As much information and tips welcome,

Patty

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
depends on lots of things, quality of reflection, height of bulb, etc.

if you start to get algae, raise the light, or lower the photoperiod

but you really should be fine, dose a bit of excel if you are worried.

Reactions: PattyCakes81

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I agree with the above, you should be fine.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Patty, that's a lot of plants for a tiny tank. Make sure the anubia is the nana type. Crypts would be great IMO. Bettas LOVE to lounge in floating water sprite or wisteria, and that will filter out light too. What is the color/temp range of that CFL lamp? Looks too yellow from the pic, but it's tough to judge from pics. You'll want a CFL in the ~6500K color/temp range. Lowes and Home Depot carry them.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Patty, that's a lot of plants for a tiny tank. Make sure the anubia is the nana type. Crypts would be great IMO. Bettas LOVE to lounge in floating water sprite or wisteria, and that will filter out light too. What is the color/temp range of that CFL lamp? Looks too yellow from the pic, but it's tough to judge from pics. You'll want a CFL in the ~6500K color/temp range. Lowes and Home Depot carry them.
Hey Freshy,

I was just listing what types of plants I might use. Most likely getting one anubias nana plant. One cryptocoryne wendtii (dont know which one yet) or cryptocoryne parva (but i haven't had any success in keeping them alive after the melt). Either wisteria or water sprite floating on top. And a small marimo ball (always wanted one).

The light bulb is a 13W daylight bulb with 6500K rating. The reason it looks yellow because the water was mopani wood tea before the WC! Lol
The lamp itself is one of those incandescent strip lamp.

Patty

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I had 2 CFL spirals over a 10g & I could grow most medium/low plants & a few higher light 1's w/o co2. I think your 2.5 is a similar depth (height, whatever...surface to substrate). Water sprite or wisteria, if happy, will get way too big for your small tank.

Java ferns would be happy attached to your wood or rocks & don't need much light. It comes in several forms as would many forms of mossy plants. If you want a tall (ish, 8-10 inch) grassy plant, Italian spiral val might also be worth looking at.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store