What is wrong with my guppies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

terror spawnin

AC Members
Jun 2, 2007
They're not tetras but rather Serrasalmus. They still fall under Characins category.
I have read about piranhas being related to tetras and I've also read the wikapedia version wich does not contradict this..it just does not mention it.

Either way I agree with doreenjoy.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
I have read about piranhas being related to tetras and I've also read the wikapedia version wich does not contradict this..it just does not mention it.

Either way I agree with doreenjoy.
Tetras and Piranhas are both in the Characidae family, but whilst tetras belong to the subfamily Tetragonopterinae (African tetras are Alestiinae), the Piranhas, along with Pacu and Silver Dollars, are in the Serrasalminae.

So think of it as South American tetras being siblings, with the African tetras and Piranhas as cousins.

civprod

AC Members
Feb 16, 2008
I have tried getting pictures of it so that it would be more obvious what I am talking about but I was not able to get any good pictures.

I do not know if torn is the right word to describe the damage to the tail. The tail is not missing any pieces, which I would think would be the case if they were being nipped by I could be wrong. Instead, it almost looks like the area between the spines in the tail fin has disappeared, just leaving the spines themselves. However, I can't say for sure whether or not the fin between the spines is gone because the tail is clear and I have not been able to tell for sure.

Also, when I woke up today and went to check on the fish, I could not find any sign of it. I did not have too long to look for it so it could still be there but I didn't see it anywhere. I am going to look some more when I get home. I know that it is possible that the other fish ate it, but would the entire thing really be gone in approximately 8 hours? Also, if the other fish did eat it, wouldn't that be unusual as these are all supposed to be tropical community fish and everything I read seems to suggest that they should coexist with each other?

Finally, if nipping is the problem, what can I do to help protect the other fish. I have some caves and plants on the bottom of the tank and then I have some other plants and cover near the waterline, so it seems like there should be plenty of places to get cover.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
i have black skirt tetras in with smaller fish and they don't bother anyone but eachother, never went after platties or neons or ember tetras or cherry barbs so if anything it could be mollies, but have never owned one of those so only guessing,..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store