What is your preferred method of treating Ich?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Which is your preferred method for treating Ich A.K.A White Spot

• NaCl A.K.A Table Salt

Votes: 30 46.2%
  • Ich Meds (Aquari-Sol, QuICK Cure, etc..)

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • Organic Meds (Kordon's Ich Attack etc..)

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • MgSO4 A.K.A Epsom Salt (didn't think you could use this but i'm hearing different lately)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Magical Fairy Dust

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Other method(s) not listed above

Votes: 10 15.4%

• Total voters

sailedNJ

marine biologist & architect
Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
Well so far table salt has gotten the most votes but I'm finding the suggestions/endorsements people have made about certain meds useful. However, I'm reconsidering using table salt as frequently/readily to treat Ich has I have in the past. I might reserve salt for those times when the meds I'm using are proving ineffective. I'm not sure though, hopefully I won't have to make that decision anytime soon but it's good to keep it in mind.

If you haven't done so already, please take the time to cast a vote & make a post stating your opinion/experience. Thanks ;)

sailedNJ

Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
It's been over a week since any new votes have been cast so I'm just "bumping" this thread in case any of you that would like to vote (but haven't already done so) can. 52 votes is good & I'm grateful to those of you that have voted & posted opinions, however on a forum this large I'd like to get a few more votes before I conclude the poll.

So if you haven't already voted, please take a moment of your time to vote & make a post about your experience for treating Ich with the preferred method you voted for.

guy2600

Registered Member
Jun 19, 2011
This is a timely thread. I've got an outbreak of ich and am going to use the salt method. I have a planted 29 gallon, 5 neon tetras, 3 amber tetras, 3 threadfin rainbows, 4 guppies, 4 cherry shrimp and 3 zebra nerite snails. My questions are:

1) how much salt per gallon?
2) how much water should I change daily?
3) do I keep adding salt to the new water after the water change?
4) how long should I do this?
5) will the salt be ok with what's in the tank?

Thanks in advance for any help?

sailedNJ

Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
This is a timely thread. I've got an outbreak of ich and am going to use the salt method. I have a planted 29 gallon, 5 neon tetras, 3 amber tetras, 3 threadfin rainbows, 4 guppies, 4 cherry shrimp and 3 zebra nerite snails. My questions are:

1) how much salt per gallon?
2) how much water should I change daily?
3) do I keep adding salt to the new water after the water change?
4) how long should I do this?
5) will the salt be ok with what's in the tank?

Thanks in advance for any help?
1.) 1 - 2 tsp per gallon
2.) Daily water changes aren't necessary
3.) Whatever amount of water you end up removing you'll have to replace the corresponding salt. i.e. If you added 2 tsp of salt per gallon & you removed 6 gallons then you'll need to add back 12 tsp of salt.
4.) Until you no longer observe symptoms of Ich. IME Usually about 3 - 4 weeks.
5.) If you keep some of the more sensitive plant specimens the salt might be a problem for them. Certain scaleless fish such as plecos & loaches are more sensitive to salt so you might have to halve the dosage with these fish species & observe for any adverse effects before adding anymore salt. FW snails won't appreciate the salt, but you have nerite snails which breed in salt water so I don't imagine that table salt will be a problem for them.

Refer to the following link for more info about Ich & its' available treatments http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?88601-FRESHWATER-ICH
It's a good one.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/showthread.php?88601-FRESHWATER-ICH
Good luck & be patient. Ich is one of the more easily cured diseases you'll have to deal with as long as you keep up with treatment for the required length of time.

guy2600

Registered Member
Jun 19, 2011
Just reporting back that salt worked perfect! My threadfins were covered with ich and after a week everything was gone and all healed up. I waited another 3 weeks to make certain everything was killed off. Used 1 tsp per gallon and it didn't harm anything. Thanks again for the thread and help :)

sailedNJ

Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
Just reporting back that salt worked perfect! My threadfins were covered with ich and after a week everything was gone and all healed up. I waited another 3 weeks to make certain everything was killed off. Used 1 tsp per gallon and it didn't harm anything. Thanks again for the thread and help :)
No problem. Glad to hear that that the info shared on this thread was of help :thm:

MoonstruckMuse

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
I understand this is an old post, but find it a really fascinating one (seeing as how often I've had it in my QT tanks... AND my display ones. Hah. Whoops. =/

I've used salt and heat with great results before, but also have worked for a fish lab that always used QuICK cure on its wild stock. That being said, these were not tanks that needed to look pretty - staining was just ignored, and the fish seemed to be cured quickly (which, for already stressed stock, could be arguably more important than anything else).

I'm really intrigued by Ich Attack and other methods of treating ich. For instance, I have to imagine that wild fish must have a way of defending themselves from ich infestations - coevolution doesn't really favor diseases that kill the host, anyhow. Ich attack intrigues me because they mention that you can dose it as a preventative treatment (which may be useful for when that rare fish shows up at the LFS... and looks healthy, but is swimming with some potentially diseased looking folk). It also says that it's safe for inverts, very appealing to me (a rash of snails rotting in my substrate is the last thing I need).
But on the other hand, what do people think of having high heat and vacuuming the gravel extensively, frequently? As the organism goes through its life stages, would a strong immune system and constant physical removal of the organisms be enough to stave off a bad infestation, for example?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store