What is your thoughts on a school of pea puffers?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

timwag2001

AC Members
Apr 25, 2009
MA
Just picked up a 125g and was thinking of a school of pea puffers in a heavily planted tank. Anyone have a decent sized school?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
A 125 with just pea-puffers, and they complain that I have a 100gal with tetras. At least my tetras can grow to over 2" long. :cool:

IMO, that would be nice, but may get a little lost in there. The puffers only grow to about 1" long. I think a 40 long, ect would be better.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Murg7

AC Members
Apr 23, 2012
PA
Real Name
Connor
Pea puffers in a 125 heavily planted might be the coolest thing someone could ever do. Add in some bumblebee gobies and scarlet badises and you'd be set.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I don't see why not, they actually school in the wild.
But how will you feed that many? I'm assuming you'll have at least 50 dwarf puffers.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I'd be very interested to see this done! I think you'd be able to witness some great natural behaviours that you just can't see with them in a smaller tank.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
FWIW...we started with 40+ in a densely planted 90. Ended up with 2. I don't know if it was a lack of food--we fed snails, live and frozen brine, black worms and frozen krill--or if they killed each other off. I suspect some of the former when there were lots, the latter once it dropped below about 10. Despite our best efforts to make sure every fish had fat bellies each day, numbers just kept dropping. Heartbreaking. They were awesome to watch display pack behavior hunting live food, but spent an awful lot of time brutalizing each other.

SantaMonica

AC Members
Peas are one of my fav yet-to-be-done things. A school would be great. As for reducing numbers, maybe it is indeed food, like SW chromis, where if they don't get fed continuously they kill the smaller ones off until the amount of food they get is enough for them (and, if you do feed enough continuously, any number of them will stay alive).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store