What led you to keep rift lake cichlids?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mike dunagan

AC Members
Nov 27, 2006
Pendleton, IN
I stated with regular tropicals, but wanted to try something bigger. I thought about CA/SA but did not have the tank space at first. I bought a few mbuna, a few peacocks, and a few tangs for a 55... I ungraded to a 120. Then I found out they do not go well together. So more tanks were bought. Now... well its sad really..

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
I also started with a community tank before I even knew about the rift lakes. Good thing though, because my wife likes that tank, otherwise there'd be another tank full of some type of cichlid. I was drawn to them by a few things. The colors, the variety, their breeding, and especially their social behavior. They are the sole reason for my affliction with MTS!:drool:

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
/\
/ \ agreed
||

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
arrow = epic fail :(

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
My dad kept Mbuna for as long as I can remember. I kept community fish until I got in my twenties, went through the tank buster stage, started reading in the second half of my twenties, lol, and started an Mbuna tank of own. I fell in love with Tangs a few years ago when I saw a Calvus and have kept Tangs since. I still indulge in my SA/ CA cichlids too but they're not tank busters anymore.

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
Someone gave them to me, tank and all :)

Really, I had been intrigued by shell dwellers since I saw Jewels of the Rift, and when I had a chance at a tank full of them, I jumped. They are such fun little fish, VERY cool to watch. I like that I have their tank semi-planted and they don't tear it up, and the way they bury/un-bury and move around the shells is very neat.

Kristina

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Thanks Efors yeah my first Tank was a 10gal back in the early 80's and i had to ride a bicycle across a bridge to Indiana to get fish and supplies because we didn't have any pet shops around and my mom wouldn't get off her butt to take me over there so i did it my self and it has been that way since the 80's..

Great memories man.. Yep agree thanks Austin for starting this thread buddy..

P.S. a lot of fish didn't make the bike ride home poor things..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store