what should be the position of filter outlet in planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Again, I agree with Byron. My tanks are fairly well stocked, and I have almost no surface movement. Days and night.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
It's so much easier with little/no surface movement. Not only is it less messy, you wont waste as much food at feeding time. I have two aquaclear 70's on my 55g (and a small Sunsun 302 canister). I have to turn off the ACs at feeding time due to the surface agitation. The AC110 on my 75g makes a surface tsunami on the side of the tank it's running on.

As far as dropping an air line into your tank, I just don't see the point of it unless it's running a sponge bubbler filter. I do get it that some keepers like bubbles in their tanks for looks. No harm, just more of a mess IMO.

AqEnthusiast

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
Yes I had kept good surface agitation and canister outlet below water .

But in this position of canister outlet under water what I am observing is that in the late night fishes are breathing very heavily which I can see in the morning ( does not look calm and normal easy breathing and few on top at water level ).. I think that must be due to CO2 rising in night and I don't have airstone . .

Hence to be on safer side for now I have again taken canister outlet above water level. .

Any suggestions...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Yes I had kept good surface agitation and canister outlet below water .

But in this position of canister outlet under water what I am observing is that in the late night fishes are breathing very heavily which I can see in the morning ( does not look calm and normal easy breathing and few on top at water level ).. I think that must be due to CO2 rising in night and I don't have airstone . .

Hence to be on safer side for now I have again taken canister outlet above water level. .

Any suggestions...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
This is possible, I had something similar in one of my tanks. I kept the spraybar below the surface, but just, and by aiming the holes against the wall almost horizontally I was able to get more surface movement and this solved the issue.

The plant load and the fish load as well as the fish species (more active versus less active, larger versus smaller) obviously impact this, so it can vary from tank to tank.

Byron.

f1sleepy

AC Members
Mar 25, 2012
Southern CA
Real Name
James
Surface agitation is necessary for proper gas exchange to occur. At night, the plants are not expelling 02 since there is no light for photosynthesis to occur. That causes a greater buildup of CO2 in the water, and without enough surface agitation, the buildup is too great for the fish to overcome. Either put your CO2 on a timer or run your CO2 off of a PH controller. You can then put your outlet back below the water-line for proper water movement, and more efficient use of CO2.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store