What Should I put in My Tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
I'm not a newbie, I just haven't posted much in a long time.

I have a 55g with an Eheim Pro II 2026. It currently houses some low light plants, red cherry shrimp and a ghost shrimp.

I would really like to keep a group of Rainbows, but I can't seem to find what I want online right now and I don't want to buy bows from the LFS.

So, my other thought is either orandas or a big cichlid of some kind. Any ideas or input is appreciated.

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
Not sure I'd be much help, I don't know much about most cichlids or goldfish. My one thought though it that probably most of the fish would eat RCS or ghost shrimp.

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
Not sure I'd be much help, I don't know much about most cichlids or goldfish. My one thought though it that probably most of the fish would eat RCS or ghost shrimp.
I'm not worried about the shrimp. They're in there to keep the tank cycled.:evil_lol:

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
I you want to go for a planted, "wet pet" setup in a 55g, I would suggest:

Ctenopoma acutirostre (African Leaf Fish) -- not *super* active, but looks really neat and loads of personality
or
Paratilapia Polleni (Madagascar cichlid) -- super responsive and fun
or
...maybe a Green Terror....?

You could also do a nice SA biotype -- angles, rams, tetras, cories....

GuppyMan

AC Members
Nov 9, 2008
New Jersey
Real Name
Trevor
I 2nd the wet pet idea! I have had a GT and a Convict as wet pets!

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
large cichlids or goldfish will tear up you plants.

what kind of bows are you looking for?
They won't do much of that. Shrimp have a very low bioload and in a 55 gallon it'll be next to nothing. Just a for warning when you add you fish to keep an eye on parameters.
Will do. I figure that it's better than starting from scratch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store