What Should I Put in My Tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Is this a 210 liter tank (~55 US gal)?

I would first probably think about rehoming some of the gouramis. IMO, having three different T. trichopterus (not known for always playing nice) plus a pearl and a moonlight is too much...especially if the cosby/gold/3 spot combination takes a turn for the worse. Again, the pearl and moonlight are NOT variations of the "blue gourami" if IDed as such, which isn't always spot-on when it comes to common names. They are both recognized as distinct species.

A clown loach by itself is not ideal (they need more than just a "mate" too), and if it is currently in a smaller tank I would remedy that ASAP. That being said, if this is a 210L/55 gallon tank then it isn't exactly the best long term housing for clown loaches either since they can reach over a foot in length. If I remember correctly, they do seem to have the reputation for growing out to about 5-6" relatively quickly and then growing at a really slow pace after that, so you might be okay for a while. But then you also have to consider that trying to rehome a larger loach is much more difficult. So it is your choice what to do, but definitely do not plan on keeping any clown loaches in that current size tank (or the 210L/55g) for the entirety of their lifetimes.

As for what you could eventually stock, I say you should try to get a group of the typical "schooling/shoaling" fish in there...ie. barbs, danios, tetras, or rasboras. If you fix the gourami situation you would definitely have room for at least 8-12 of those type of fish, depending on the ultimate size of the species you choose.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
i think he means the common or scientific names.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
No.

Knowing how large they are in length can also give us an idea of age. He has provided what I asked for.

I think Jpappy is pretty correct on his recommendations.

Whether he measures in inches or centimeters is not relevant as you can use the calculator in the top banner to convert. I didn't ask for scientific names, just the overall length of them. Common name + length can give you an idea of age and genera, species, family.

55gallon or 210 liter are pretty close to the same. The advantage he has is that it is a 55 bowfront.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
well i dont think thats really accurate since many things can affect how fast a fish grows.

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
well i dont think thats really accurate since many things can affect how fast a fish grows.

I'm sorry but how? Any factors that may/may not affect the growth of a fish aren't likely to affect the average age etc. Apart from stunting which even this case does seem unlikely imo.

Anyway to get back on topic, I agree that it would be best to get rid of all but one species of gourami and the clown loach due to the reasons already stated aha. Also, you could maybe get 10-12 of nice schooling fish if you want something pretty, or you could get some species of Danio if you want your tank to be more active. I suggest for the Tetra species you could get Rummynose Tetras aha

Last edited:

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
warer temp, feedings, water quality. all of that can affect how fast a fish grows.

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
warer temp, feedings, water quality. all of that can affect how fast a fish grows.

I'm aware, but not to the extent that a member would be unable to get an approx. age of the fish.

And if you still disagree I'm sure the OP would gladly give details on all factors you listed above, and then again someone could take an educated guess.
js.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i just dont see how it relates to anything. what does finding the age do? plus they dont kbow how long they were at the pet store or the condtions where they were breed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store