What size sump and pump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
My issue might be that I'm pushing that flow through a single 1" overflow.

MIKE D

Cichlid Fanatic
Jul 2, 2007
Maine
Well looks like the 65 gallon bowfront is going to be the tank we use. I'm having my dad bulid a stand for the tank since he is a master cabinet maker and if I made one it would fall apart if an ant sat on it:headshake2:. With that being said I could have any size sump go underneath but I dont want to over do it. I was reading the saltwater startup and it stated that for a reef tank it should be 25x turnover so I would need 1625gph. I could go with 2 Koralia 3. I plan to stock the tank with liverock so that it's more than half way up the tank (please let me know if thats too much or too little). This is my first attempt at a reef and thats why I went with a 1,600gph overflow. I was thinking of using a 20 long or 25 high for the sump. I've never designed a sump before and thats why I've turned to you guys for help. If you think that 1,600 is too much Ill knock it down to 700-800gph. Im still in the setting up faze and the only thing Im buying right now is the tank.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
My advice is to use the largest tank you can possibly fit under the main tank.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
And the longest. You really will be better off with a long version vs a tall version because you'll actually get more horizontal area to place things. While the vertical is important, my opinion is with a sump get as much of the hardware down there as posssible.

MIKE D

Cichlid Fanatic
Jul 2, 2007
Maine
Im going to shoot for a 33 long if I can find one but if I cant can I use a rubbermade container insted of a tank? I dont mind the looks because it will be hidden under the stand. I'm going to keep the heater in the sump as well just so it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb. I picked up the tank tonight and I think the guy I bought it from was wrong on the size of the tank. The Dimensions are 48X18X22 and that makes it a 72 gallon bowfront not a 65 gallon like he stated in the ad. I picked up the tank, lights, 2 regent double filters and a thermal compact heater for 100 bucks! Tank is in great shap minus a few scraches on the glass. I hope to have it up and running by spring. I do have pics of the tank if you want to see them.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Why not try to find a used 55 on craigs list if you can't find a 33 long? I mean it will be tall but it will at least be capable of the volume you are wanting. I have Melev's type F sump which has a total capacity of 40 gallons and I wish I had a bigger one to tell you honestly.

I am sure you could use a rubbermade container but I wouldn't have a clue how you would get the baffles to stay in place on something that doesn't have rigid sides. Maybe someone else does, but I don't.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I think trippkid on here uses rubbermaids for his sump. I believe what he did was instead of using baffles in a single compartment, he used separate containers connected with bulkheads. Rubbermaids will work, some require extra bracing to prevent the sides from bowing though.

vorlx

yadda yadda
Aug 30, 2007
Broken Arrow, OK
I think trippkid on here uses rubbermaids for his sump. I believe what he did was instead of using baffles in a single compartment, he used separate containers connected with bulkheads. Rubbermaids will work, some require extra bracing to prevent the sides from bowing though.
I tried the rubbermaid route with horrible results. It is so much easier to just spend a few bucks more and get a glass tank. I guess this entirely depends on the size of sump. For me a 20L was easy to aquire.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store