What size tank for different loaches and cory cats??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Pygmy cories would be best if you can locate them. Or smaller coeis like the peppered or panda. Try to keep at least 5 of them and limit any other fish in the tank. Cories need lots of fresh water so make sure to do a good sized weekly water change to keep them healthy and long lived.

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
loaches r cool said:
A group of 3 zebra loaches - botia striata - would probably be acceptable in a 10g since they dont get very big
Their size is not the only reason zebra loaches should not be kept in a 10 gallon aquarium. Loaches do best when they have plenty of space to swim around in. A bigger tank will also allow them to have multiple territories to claim around the tank. They also do best when they have pristine water, similar to that of a discus tank.

corykid

SPACE COWBOY
Aug 22, 2006
WHITBY, ONTARIO CANADA!
ara35 said:
I am buying a 10G tank, and i want either a school of loaches or a school of cory cats, along with some shrimp and so on. The main focus is will a 10G tank be able to hold loaches, cory cats, or otos???
I have a 10 gallon tank dude with 3 bronze cory cats (along with 2 skirt tetras, and 6 neons) and the corys are the best fish ever they would be great for ur 10 gallon because they stay relitivly small AND HAVE THE BEST PERSONALITIES EVER!!!! but ya also get sinking wafers for them and give them one every other day to make sure that they get all the food and vitamins they need

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
I havent heard very much at all say that Zebra Loaches are verys sensative for water conditions. Not that I would suggest anything but the most pristine water conditions for them. ;) They actually inhabit the muddy, still and slow moving waters in southern India. However 10G is obviously pushing it for 3 of these guys. They do seem to really like to continously play/hunt through my plants so I would definately recomend some plants with them.

And here is a pic of one of mine

Here is the info on them at Mongobay:
SYN: None
PD: A stocky, fish with an arched back and a flat belly profile. The caudal fin is deeply cleft and the caudal penuncle is thick. The body is brown with numerous vertical yellow stripes which alternate in thickness. The fins are marked with brown bands.
SIZE: To 2.7" (8 cm) in aquaria, although up to 4" (10 cm) in nature
SS: None
HAB: Inhabits still and slow moving waters in southern India
S: bottom
TANK: A 24" (61 cm), 10-20 gallon (38-76 L) tank is sufficient for this small species. Follow suggestions for B. morleti .
WATER: pH 6-7.5 (6.8), 3-15 dH (7), 73-81°F (23-27°C)
SB: An active, but peaceful species that prefers to be kept in small groups of five to eight fish. A nocturnal species that become diurnal after acclimation.
SC: As for B. sidthimunki.
FOOD: Live; worms, insect larvae, crustaceans; tablets; plant matter
SEX: Unknown
B: Unknown
BP: No recorded spawnings in an aquarium.
R: This species can make audible clicking sounds.
DC: 4. A hardy and peaceful species whose diet should be supplemented with live foods.

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
homer3d455840 said:
Living in muddy water is not the same as living in water that is high in nitrates and disolved organic compounds.
True...

Although it's safe to say anything very sensative of water conditions usually doesnt fair well in my tank :eek: although since buying that python I have finally been able to maintain a once a week or once every two weeks water change schedule fairly well:)... the whole dissambling the canister deal though is still 1 month at best. Thanks for the compliment though... its the oldest one in the tank, I had just him for a long time until the LFS finally had some more and I bought 5 just the other week. My goal with my next tank upgrade will probably be to focus on a school of just clowns and zebras since they are my favorites, along with several dojos(but they will go in the goldfish tank).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store