what skimmers do you use/recommend?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ERRN7

AC Members
Jan 8, 2000
Abingdon, VA USA
Monkey wrench

I love to throw in a monkey wrench but .....I use a Prizm on a 72gal Bow Front.....It has 4" LS and 50 # of Gulf View rock. I know people put them down alot for their lack of ......but for Me it has worked great. I have three mushroom rocks a bubble coral and a fragged Leather. The tank has been up and running for almost two years. I usually get half cup of gunk with each water change which is monthly. If I were crazy enough to put up another salt tank I would use prizm again they now have one for larger tanks as well....

SunnyX

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Do you have a sump? If not you might want to consider using one.
1.What is a SUMP?

2.WHat are the advantages of having one?

3.Should I be using it with my SeaClone
Protein Skimmer(100)? It is in a 55gal tank.

4.If I need it how would I go about building a SUMP?

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
a sump is just another watertight container (another tank, a rubbermaid storage bin, etc.) that is usually placed below the main tank.

You either get your tank drilled or use a "siphon overflow box" like the Amiracle model that sells for $40

You also need a return pump. The water flows from the display tank down to the sump, and the pump pumps it back up.

You can place heaters, skimmers, etc., etc. in the sump. You could also light it and grow algaes.

FishBait

triggerhappy
Nov 27, 2002
Wilmington, NC
Visit site
Well, you'll prolly need even bigger than a 120 eventually, so I'd plan on getting some things to suit the NEXT next move ;) If you get the 120, you'll only have 4' of cabinet room for a sump, as opposed to 6' for a 125, but that's all I have too. I have a 90 gallon with an $8 ~30gal Rubbermaid sump. Even on a 6' tank this should be adequate. My skimmer is a Turbofloter 1000 which sits in the sump. I replaced the crappy Rio pump that came w/it with a Mag 7, and for the price...it's a heck of a skimmer.

Pisces

Night Owl
Mar 4, 2002
Fayetteville, AR
Real Name
Lisa
We're running a SeaClone 100 on our 55g reef and a Hang-on Berlin Turbo on our 125g and they're both doing a great job of pulling out the gunk. The SeaClone's been running for about 3 years and the Berlin is about a year old with no problems from either one...yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store