What the heck is this stuff?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
Black diamond blasting sand as substrate. Just plants in the tank. No fish yet. Light on for 12 hours a day on timer.

44 gallon pentagon corner tank. Dosing with Flourish and Flourish Excel.

Woke up this morning to the gravel looking like this:

What the hell is this stuff and how did it popup overnight?

It's on top of the driftwood too.

EDIT: Tank from 2 days ago:

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
If it rubs off surfaces easily it is likely diatoms. Very common in new setups, ottocinclus love it. Doesn't tend to stick around after it's flush of growth.

You may want to cut the light period to 8-10 hours though since plants have a quota they will use during a day and then close up shop but algae can use light 24/7.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I'm going to go with SnakeIce here, but my first thought was dirt settling in the tank. I've never had that happen, but my first reaction would be to test the water and do a substrate vac.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
If it rubs off surfaces easily it is likely diatoms. Very common in new setups, ottocinclus love it. Doesn't tend to stick around after it's flush of growth.

You may want to cut the light period to 8-10 hours though since plants have a quota they will use during a day and then close up shop but algae can use light 24/7.
It comes off like dust.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
I've been keeping fish since 1978 and this is the first time I am seeing this.

Then again, this is the first time I am using sand and not earth tone gravel. So I may have gotten it and not noticed.

If it's lying on the sand like that, is it dead at this point?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You could do a slow vac and get some out.....

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, I'm with Bob & SnakeIce, vac!! 12 hours is too long a photo period in most tanks, my longest is maybe 8. Nothing more than crap to vac out but unsightly, get it outta there...while it's easy to do...& pull up those swords just a tiny bit, the big one's seem too deeply planted. You'll likely lose the oldest leaves but that's ok.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Suck it up and cross your fingers it doesn't come back, haha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store