What the heck just happened????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

maxthedog123

Can't have too many Tiger Barbs...
Jun 6, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
Yeah fermentedhiker - you never know quite how long it is going to take for the soil to settle when it is submerged. My first attempt at NPT/Walstad/El Natural/Dutch Method was a complete and unadulterated disaster. I can give you more info on what went wrong if you would like.

If anyone is interested in the NPT/Walstad/El Natural/Dutch Method, there are several good sources. "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" by Diana Walstad is a great read - I go back to it often. The El Natural forum (http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/el-natural/) on APC is good and Diana at one time was the moderator there. She still posts once in a while. The Low Tech Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/low-tech-forum/) is also interesting. I post here quite a bit and, frankly, posted about the bacteria issue because the other forums I linked above don't get the traffic AC gets and I needed a quick answer.

I should mention I was a confirmed high tech guy after I started keeping plants. When my plants first went south, I latched on to the advice to get better lights, ferts and pressurized CO2. I had awesome plant growth, but I got tired of trimming tanks 2x per week and all of the time on maintenance. So I went super low tech. I love how easy it is when things get going, and I love the chemistry aspects of trying to understand the ecosystems. People also need to know there are other methods than more lights, more firts and a CO2 tank. Those work awesome - but there is the slow growth way if you are patient and don't want to trim and replant your tank daily.

I will post a couple of pictures.

maxthedog123

Jun 6, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
This is the 46g that just had the crash. Note the bag of bio-balls from on of my canister filters in the front. True NPT tank - heater and powerhead only (temporary AQ20 HOB not withstanding). I went the next step with this one too - peace lilies are bog plants and are growing in the back.46g 4 bog small.jpg

46g 4 bog small.jpg

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
So glad to hear your fish made it, well done. Lovely tank too. Just a thought, that some fish just need more oxygen than others, and tiger barbs may be one of them? If you ever decide to restock perhaps labryinth fish would really do well in the calm, low oxygen environment. I can see a sorority of colorful and graceful female bettas loving it.

maxthedog123

Jun 6, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
Jannika - definitely an oxygen problem with the bacteria bloom. However, IMO, I don't think low tech = low oxygen once the biofilter stabilizes, especially with a tank with lots of plant mass.

maxthedog123

Jun 6, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
Complete with the HOF (hang on front) filter - the cleared up tank tonight. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. I will most likely give the filter another 48 hours.

46g 6 hob small.jpg

46g 6 hob small.jpg

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Very pretty tank! I read Diane Walstads book a while back and was really intrigued. It seems to be something I keep in the back of my mind. I think it's fabulous that you and so many others are doing this successfully. I think it can give a new dimension to fish keeping.

I actually bought some soil today and I'm looking for the perfect container to try her shrimp bowl method. Just can't find a bowl big enough that I like. I also think I'm going to do it in a little 2.5 gallon I have in my kitchen window. Right now it's a catch all for a few extra plants and snails, and I only run a small airstone...no soil in it though, or ferts, just gravel.

I'm really glad things have settled down in your tank. I'm sure it's just a minor bump in the road with it. Lovely tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store