What timer do you use?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vorlx

yadda yadda
Aug 30, 2007
Broken Arrow, OK
I have Coralife aqualight dual timer and I have to say it is horrible. I have gone though 2 of them and they are crap. The timers get stuck on and it's truly amazing what I have had to do to get them to work 50% of the time. Anway, I just want to know what everyone would recommend? I like the dual timer setup as I run actinics from 8am to 8pm and 10k from 10am to 6pm. Is it easier to just buy 2 single timers?

Last edited by a moderator:

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
okay I thought I was having massive user error with this one. There was no keeping it working how it should. I'd love to hear some additional suggestions. it's the only one I could find that I didn't need additional timers for actinic CF and the metal halide lights

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
Yeah. I just have single timers from the hardware store. Never have had a single problem with them working.

Spockster

AC Members
Jun 18, 2008
Just had that problem with mine single digital one. I had it set to "random" mode. Auto seems to work now ... I guess I'll find out if the actually turned on today when I get home from the office today.

I'm looking into replacements also. I kind-a like the digital but the mechanical timers always seem to work without fail.

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
I'm also using basic analog timers from the hardware store. Nothing fancy about them; set the time, set the switches..

I've been using the same two timers for almost two years now. They work just fine. I don't need some super elaborate and pricey timer!

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
I had a hard time finding a normal wall timer with three prongs, so I opted for the outdoor Christmas light timers. They're a little bulky but they have a cord on them so it's not too bad. I've had them for about a year and have had no problems.
Robbie

NorCalFish

AC Members
Sep 4, 2008
i bought 2-pack of timers from IKEA, but i have yet to try them and the price slips me at the moment.

justahannah

Fascinated newb
Jul 29, 2008
Tacoma, WA
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Hannah
I'm also using a basic analog...it's bulky and ugly and beige from the 80s and I had to get a 3 prong to 2 prong converter for the ground. My dad used it for the light on his closet plant grow back in the day, and I snagged it after he decided buying is easier and slightly less illegal :p. It's still going strong for my aquatic plants :)

j_chicago

Usually Drunk
May 12, 2007
Chicago, Il
Real Name
Jason
I use the single analog coralife timer strip. Never had issues with it. I also use an outdoor timer for the second set of lights. Working fine after 3 years.

I've tried the simple bulky analog and digital timers for other smaller betta and nano planted tanks, but they don't seem to stay on time, and find that the analog ones won't work unless they are plugged in the wall and level. They are fine for the month at Christmas for the tree, but longterm... horrible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store