What to do next-re: recycling

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tigerbarbsdance

AC Members
Feb 22, 2003
Wisconsin
Visit site
Could someone please advise me as to what to do next.

I am the newbie that posted about the tank recyling problems (have the Tiger Barbs and the 40 gallon) I also added 10z. of Bio Spira when the tank went bad.

I've been doing water changes daily up until yesterday (about 15-20%), did not do one today. The Nitrite was .25 yesterday afternoon and is still .25 this PM without a water exchange today. Amonia is 0

?'s are these:

Should I do another water exchange or not?

Do I treat this as I would a first cycling and when the Nitrite is 0 exchange half of the water and start adding the fish?

How many Tigers do I add back at a time? They are approx. 2 inches in size each.

Sorry for all the ?'s Thanks in advance.

EagerAqua

AC Members
Jan 4, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I am not sure I follow you, are the fish still in the tank?

If not, then I would suggest beginning a fishless cycle from the beginning. You will need to add an ammonia source.

If yes, then keep doing the water changes.

Eager

tigerbarbsdance

AC Members
Feb 22, 2003
Wisconsin
Visit site
I don't follow me well either sometimes.....

There is 1, 6 inch gourami stiill in the tank.

The Tiger Barbs were removed and are in a cramped 10 gallon waiting to go home!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The problem with having the barbs in another tank is simple--the larger tank is now lacking an ammonia source, so the bacteria beds are going to start shrinking. Your best bet is going to be to do water changes to drop the nitrites down, and slowly--1 every other day--add the barbs back. Keep doing the water changes, daily if needed. Adding salt will help reduce the nitrite toxicity while the tank finishes the cycle.

tigerbarbsdance

AC Members
Feb 22, 2003
Wisconsin
Visit site
Thanks for helping, I will do what you suggested.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store