what to do with my partially stocked 65g freshwater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
Hello all!

Looking for some ideas here. I have a 65g flatback hex that has 5 bleeding heart tetras, 10 columbian tetras, 2 extremely ancient lemon tetras (5+years) 1 sterbai cory and... that's it. I used to have a couple angel fish, but over the last year, they've both passed away (old age ~8 years?).

I don't really know what to do with this. Part of me thinks it might be fun to do a Tanganyika tank, and I have a place I can order some pretty cool fish from... but then what do I do with the current occupants? I would feel bad just giving them back to the lps.

Alternatively, I could get some more corys(which I will do if I keep this set up) and I would like to get a couple of bristlenose plecos, or just another interesting smallish pleco type fish. I don't know that I want to do angels again, I would like to try something different as a centrepiece fish, but I'm not totally against angels either.

Filtration is a eheim 2217, weekly (ish) waterchanges. No special lighting, have some java fern and some nice driftwood pieces in there.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
You could buy another tank and that solves everything - LOL!

Personally I would add to the current stock. Perhaps more Lemon Tetras and Cories? For a centerpiece fish you could try a couple of dwarf Gouramis?

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
I think you need some upper and bottom dwellers. Adding more cories would be awesome! As for the surface area, some Killifisih, Harlequin Rasboras, Hatchetfish and maybe an African Butterfly Fish would be awesome.

gt1009

AC Members
Jan 8, 2009
I would use some sort of gourami as your centerpiece fish in that setup. Pearliscale's look awesome and would get along well in that tank. I would fill out the schools of corys and lemons also.

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
I don't know that I really want more lemons, or more tetras at all really. I generally would like to stick to just south american(ish) fish if I stick with the ones I already have and don't totally change it, so that kinda leaves the gourami's out. And other than angels again, I don't really know what to do as kind of the 'exciting' fish in the tank. I was hoping someone might suggest something unusual? or perhaps I was closet hoping people would be like 'ya go with the tanganyikans!

I don't know. I guess I'm just really bored with the tank really :(

SidtheMonkey

Hey, I'm really a woman.
Mar 26, 2010
Outside Seattle, WA
I can never take fish back to a store. I always give them away or take them to my local fish club and sell them. And many clubs also have auctions. Our local society is having their big annual auction this Sat.

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
I totally do not have any friends who have fish. So that makes giving them away difficult. As far as I know there is no aquarium club or anything around here either. :(

SidtheMonkey

Hey, I'm really a woman.
Mar 26, 2010
Outside Seattle, WA
I totally do not have any friends who have fish. So that makes giving them away difficult. As far as I know there is no aquarium club or anything around here either. :(
Where is 'here?'

Bummer if not tho. Ours and Portland's used to be really fun. I havent gone in yrs but am going to the Seattle auction this Sat.

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
Here is northwestern ontario... north shore of lake superior. About 7 hours north and a little bit east of minneapolis if that gives you a better idea.

SidtheMonkey

Hey, I'm really a woman.
Mar 26, 2010
Outside Seattle, WA
Here is northwestern ontario... north shore of lake superior. About 7 hours north and a little bit east of minneapolis if that gives you a better idea.

Ah....yeah, you're out there. I'd recommend advertising them in the classifieds here or something, but you're really not in the mainstream.

You never know tho, you may have a club somewhere near.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store