what to put in a 38 w/krib pair

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

firebelly

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
MD, USA
Visit site
i'm planning on raising a breeding pair of kribs in my 38 gallon... there's nothing else in it yet and i was wondering what would be good tankmates. i really want some kind of small bottomdweller but i'm not sure what would work best since kribs tend to hang around the bottom of the tank. btw my ph is around 7.6, which i know limits my options to a certain extent. any ideas (for bottomdwellers and otherwise)? i'm probably gonna pick up the kribs this afternoon.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
They would have to be some really, really tough cories. I think Kribensis are noted for their viciousness (as almost all cichlids are) when defending their broods, and I don't see cories or otos making it. Might I suggest going the surface-dwelling route if Kribs are bottom dwellers and you want to breed them? If you want to do something bottom-dwelling, I would suggest a Plec a little larger than Otos. (BTW, thanks for the prior post--I would not have thought Loricariidae without the Oto idea, O-man!)

jderuiter

AC Members
Nov 21, 2001
Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I have Serpea tetras and zebra danios in a 25 with my breeding pair of kribs and its a great tank. The kribs chase the others off when they are spawning but other than that they get along fine.

jiggerpolebill

i have a key to the Twinsavr
Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
how about some rainbow fish? i have some dwarf rainbows and zebra danios in with mine and they do great. fast enough and smart enough to stay out the way. i had 2 goyder river rainbows(a pair, i think) but one of them went insane and actually backed both kribs down in their own stump. the male krib was pretty much beating the h3ll out of the rainbow and it freaked out and went berzerk on him. had to pull the rainbow out and put it in another tank. the other GR rainbow(F i think) schools with the dwarves(?) and stays clear of the kribs.

firebelly

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
MD, USA
Visit site
thanks for all of the responses... :)

i like danios, i have a few leopards in another tank. has anyone kept serpaes in water as alkaline as mine?

the rainbows sound like a nice addition... how about threadfins? are they too delicate? they're more expensive anyway but they are v pretty

i like the red tail shark but i don't really know whether to go in the direction of something as large as that that could potentially stand up to abuse or something small that would be less likely to inspire the krib to attack?

i'm still open to more suggestions, i didn't end up getting out to get the kribs yesterday but they certainly will be going into this tank.

jderuiter

AC Members
Nov 21, 2001
Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
My krib tank ph is 7.4 which is not far off yours. My serpaes are red, healthy and looking great. Put some in....you won't be sorry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store