What to put in a my 5 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TeaPea

AC Members
Aug 26, 2002
Brightwaters, NY
Kind of a spinoff of my other thread--I was planning on putting guppies and a Betta in my 5 gallon but am having second thoughts...Any suggestions as to what to put in it? It's a bowfront with a HOB whisper filter and heater. It's fully cycled and ready for some inhabitants...It has to be colorful and I'd prefer more than one fish in there...Thanks!

Panic

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
Fleetwood, NY
Visit site
I have two different fives that are housing killies...F. Gardineiri (sp)...They are colorful active and don't get all that big. Just don't put more than one mature male in a five because they will beat the hell out of one another.
You could also try Badis Badis, they are real small and very brightly colored. Some people have had trouble with getting them to eat anything other than live food but my brother has had no trouble getting his to eat flake.

J-Aqua

AC Members
Sep 11, 2000
Chestnut Hill, MA
how about looking into some dwarf croaking gourami (trichopsis pumilus)?.....they get to about 1 1/2 " inches and maybe two or three would do well in a 5........i've been considering some from my 6 gallon for quite a while but still haven't gotten around to setting it up.......as to being colorful, i wouldn't exactly consider them to be so although they are prettily patterned and their eyes have a blue sparkle when hit just right with the light.....

a really beautiful killie attaining a little more than two inches is the Cape Lopez Lyretail/Orange Lyretail (aphyosemion australe).....they are a fiery orange and red......i have no info as to their care/requirements, though.....i think aquaria central might have info on this one....

another great looking killie is Nothobranchius guentheri, which is "well suited for the beginner as it is hardy and easy to care for." (or so says my source)...gets to a little over 2 inches as well....

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Aquabid.com is a great resource for killi fish. I purchased eggs earlier this year, and have enjoyed the fish immensely. If you get eggs, be prepared for thier hatching with a food source like vinegar eels or microworms. Let me know if you need a starter culture of either.

Heady

Cardinal Rule
Feb 22, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
Do killifish typically live more than a year? It is my understanding that many come from pools of water that develop in the rainy season in Africa, and the way they survive is to grow quickly and lay eggs for the next season before the pools dry up.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It depends on the species. There are many species that have short fast live, while others live life spans comparable to many minnows. There are even killi fish native to the US--usually called pup-fish around here. Some are strikingly colored (about the only fish I've ever seen look true blue outside a betta!) There are some great books out there. I highly recommend picking up "Killifish A Complete Pet Owner's Manual", by Barron's. It has some great species info, as well as family information and pics.

Panic

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
Fleetwood, NY
Visit site
I ordered my killi eggs from aquabid (as did oriongirl). It is easy to ship the eggs and to hatch them you just need (as oriongirl stated) a food source for when they hatch. I hatched BBS and moved from there to crushed flake and crushed shrimp pellets. If you want some info on killis check out these sites...
www.killi.net
www.aka.org
I love these little fish and would recommend them to anyone. In fact if I had any eggs I would be happy to send them to you but I haven't begun to spawn them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store