What to put in my 10 gallon tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mLindsey97

AC Members
Jun 1, 2012
North Carolina
Real Name
Lindsey McHenry
Hi everyone! I just joined AC =) So I have a question... I have a nice 10 gallon tank, but I'm not sure what to put in it. I want some really colorful tropical fish. Can you tell me what can live together and not fight? I'd like to have a few different kinds of fish in my tank. Thanks in advance!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Endlers or guppies
platys
Neon tetras
mollies

Those are your basics. I'm sure some will come along with some other good suggestions. Also when you figure out how you want to stock doube check here. A lot of people first starting (including myself) overstock their tanks and it can create some problems. Good for you for asking first =)

mLindsey97

AC Members
Jun 1, 2012
North Carolina
Real Name
Lindsey McHenry
Thanks for the information =) I saw somewhere else that Dwarf Gouramis and Tiger Barbs would be a good choice also. Is that true?

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Tiger barbs are fine. Many people have told me that to put a gourami in where you can only have one of them ecause they will be aggressive to each other. You could probably get away with one in there and then have some sortif schooling fish like neon tetras or maybe the tiger barbs (I think they are a schooler)

Do some reading up on cycling. That's gonna be the most important part of your start. There is a way to cycle without fish. I cycled with fish and as long you don't put a lot of fish in there at the start it is manageable. Plus there's this chemical called safe start made by tetra. It will help you cycle faster. Don't use any other sort of fast cycle chem though. I've tried a few and ave noticed no difference except with tetra safe start

mLindsey97

AC Members
Jun 1, 2012
North Carolina
Real Name
Lindsey McHenry
Thanks so much! I've decided that I want a Dwarf Gourami, Tiger Barbs and Guppies. How many Barbs and Guppies can fit in my tank with one Gourami?

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
Tiger barbs are fine. Many people have told me that to put a gourami in where you can only have one of them ecause they will be aggressive to each other. You could probably get away with one in there and then have some sortif schooling fish like neon tetras or maybe the tiger barbs (I think they are a schooler)

Do some reading up on cycling. That's gonna be the most important part of your start. There is a way to cycle without fish. I cycled with fish and as long you don't put a lot of fish in there at the start it is manageable. Plus there's this chemical called safe start made by tetra. It will help you cycle faster. Don't use any other sort of fast cycle chem though. I've tried a few and ave noticed no difference except with tetra safe start

I want to stress this information as much as possible. Tetra Safe Start is the only cycling product that I, or anyone else I know, has tried that works. It is a little expensive, so if you don't want to use it, cycle your tank the old fashioned way, with plenty of daily water changes.

Danny-O

How do I change my user title?
Mar 4, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
www.howmanyfish.com
Thanks so much! I've decided that I want a Dwarf Gourami, Tiger Barbs and Guppies. How many Barbs and Guppies can fit in my tank with one Gourami?
Not many. Ten gallons is not much space. Personally, I'd pick the barbs. They grow to 2"+, so you're only looking at 3-4 with the dwarf gourami. And don't add more than 1 or 2 at time, to avoid overwhelming the cycle. This is assuming the tank is already cycled.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
IMO, Tiger Barbs would be a bad choice for a 10g...especially with a Dwarf Gourami and/or guppies. They are extremely active and need much more space than a 10g provides. They also are notorious fin-nippers and in the confines of a 10g would make life miserable for the other inhabitants. Tiger barbs should be kept in schools of at least 6 members with 10 or more being ideal to disperse aggression and allow them to form a hierarchy within the group. This simply isn't possible in a 10g. Wait until you have a tank at least 36" long before deciding on these fish.

A better suited barb for a 10g would be a trio of Cherry barbs. (1 male, 2 females)

I'd stock the tank with:
3 Cherry barbs
3-4 guppies
1 Dwarf Gourami
2-3 nerite snails

This would be a fully stocked setup.

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
I vote for Endlers

Instead of the Guppies or Barbs, I vote for Endlers. I think their size fits a 10 gallon tank better than any of the other fish you are talking about and they are very attractive and fun.endler male.jpg

endler male.jpg

reflexhunter

AC Members
May 17, 2010
I like endlers as well, just don't mix with guppies as they will interbreed. Chilli endlers are a hybrid, but are very colorful.

Get a good supply of java moss some endlers and your choice of shrimp, I like the Sakura fire shrimp but there are alot of different types out there. I have some blue shrimp that are pretty neat!

Nerite snails are cool, but not really needed for this set up, I have the same tank and have no problem with algae build up, plus nerites won't reproduce in fresh water so you will have to continue to purchase them when they die off.

You could put a smaller piece of driftwood in there and get a smaller type of bushy nose pleco/ancistrus variety.

I use no substrate in this setup, since it's a smaller tank with alot going on in it, I try to keep the cleaning to a minimum.

Water changes every 1-2 weeks and pretty much all is good. But ymmv

Gl
Daniel

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store