What type of dechlorinator do you use for a planted tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JosephMCorbett

AC Members
Feb 7, 2005
Northern California
I've read that you should use a simple dechlorinator that just takes care of the chlorine/chloromine. Alot of trace elements that can be of benifit to plants are in tap water. Most dechlorinators on the marked have additives that remove "harmful" metals and will continue removing metals (trace elements) from the water in the tank. Just curious what everyone (who uses tap water) is using.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
When I have to use a conditioner it is generally because chloramines are in use. Then I use Prime. If you never have chloramines, use the simplest sodium thiosulfate solution, without slime coat junk or metal "removers".

You have no big issue with traces if you use a trace supplement such as Flourish.

Conditioners which state that they "remove" heavy metals in reality do not. They complex them or chelate them or in some manner bind them - that may remove them from the water cloumn by salting them out - in which case they are now in the substrate, where they will be accessible again. Or when the agent which complexes them of chelates them itself breaks down, the metal is back - either in the water cloumn or in the substrate or in the filter with water pouring over it. Removes it how? Matter is not created or destroyed. Copper remains copper, lead remains lead, arsenic remains arsenic.

JosephMCorbett

AC Members
Feb 7, 2005
Northern California
Thanks RTR. I do have chloromines in the water. So, based on your reply, I won't worry about it. Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store