What type of Fish/Shark is this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcmanus1806

Registered Member
Nov 21, 2010
hi this is my first time posting here :)
a couple of years ago i went into a kind of back shop fish aquerium with paranah and sharks, but i bought 2 sharks named "dolphin hammerhead sharks" i have looked everywhere for these and nothing came up. the sharks looked like great white sharks but very small about 6-7" but they grew pretty big, and they cost me around £30 but i dont know the name of these sharks but everytime i type a comment like this every 1 says is it a red tailed shark or a silver shark, its nothing like these its a grey shark thats about 6-7" long :) no1 ever understands haha and then says its a catfish :S please help as i am looking to buy these again.
Grey and look extremly similar to great white
about 6-7" long
£30 rufly
its not red tail, silver or catfish shark :)

Big thanks ! :D

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC! Can you post a picture of it?

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Highfin Pangasius is often referred to as a dolphin hammerhead shark, Iridescent shark, Pangasius hypophthalmus, Pangasius Catfish. They do not make good aquarium fish as they get too big. It is a freshwater fish and is actually a member of the catfish family as are most freshwater sharks.

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
yes http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...eW_DA&esq=3&page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0 thats a picture similar only the ones i had had thick fins and i think i was a tropical shark. but it looked similar to that only it had a more agressive look and thicker fins, and i think its eyes where higher up than that. thanks!
What you posted is a Pangasius species, mature adult (from reading the page it's supposedly a paroon shark, Pangiasius sanitwongsei. This fish is now not very common in the aquarium trade.). We cannot really know what yours was without having had pictures of the actual fish. The most common one offered in the aquarium trade is the Irridescent Shark (Pangasius hypophthalmus), but periodically people do get a hold of other species.
The eye placement and fin differences could have simply been due to age and/or health of the fish. The eyes do tend to be higher up in younger individuals. We can't really know without having seen your fish.

the ones i had had thick fins and i think i was a tropical shark.
They are tropical fish, but are actually catfish, not related to true sharks. They are called sharks due to the fact that they have a similar swimming manner and a high triangular fin.

There are no actual freshwater sharks as far as I know, though there are some saltwater species that can survive quite well in freshwater, such as the bull shark. You do not, however, see these offered at fish stores due to their size and care requirements.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store