What type of shoaling fish is best? (How to stock 55 gallon?)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
danios, no choice. And no they should leave your tank mates alone, at least once they are all settled in, went after my guppys when I added my guppys but leave them alone, also leave my corys alone, although they were not pleased with them at first (every single one had his/her fins flared) but left em alone. They would be a bad choice for a betta, would tick the betta off pretty bad.

Kettemoor

AC Members
Sep 14, 2007
Tallahassee, Fl
danios, no choice. And no they should leave your tank mates alone, at least once they are all settled in, went after my guppys when I added my guppys but leave them alone, also leave my corys alone, although they were not pleased with them at first (every single one had his/her fins flared) but left em alone. They would be a bad choice for a betta, would tick the betta off pretty bad.
So don't put female betta in with danios? Will Danios leave gourami (dwarf and not) or cichlids and vice versa alone?

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
I don't know how well danios do with cichlids, I would think the cichlids might try and eat them, not sure. As far as bettas are concerned I would assume they might succeed in ticking them off (even females) but mine for some odd reason leave all the other species alone (unless food is involved) so it might work. Althogh again that is a 55 gallon, lot of room and who knows, danios might get the message and the betta (bettas) alone. I would think your best bet is gouramis and about 9 or more danios. The more danios the less likely they would bug their neighbors.

flickafish

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Massachusetts
I've got a mixed school of 6 pearl and zebra danios, along with 3 cory cats. They've been in a 10 gallon, living quite peacefully. I agree with the PP's, the bigger the danio school, the better. I have one pearl who's bigger than the rest, and he loves the chase the other danios for fun! They are rather spirited though, and your betta may get pretty annoyed with 'em.

I just moved the whole gang into my 55 gallon today, and they are loving it, with all of the new hiding places! So go ahead and get those danios.....
:thumbsup:

Phil22

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
I have to say I am not a big fan of danios. I really don't find them to be a good community fish...they are way too nuts for me. Just my opinion.

Kettemoor

AC Members
Sep 14, 2007
Tallahassee, Fl
I have heard about as much good things as bad things about danios so I have decided not to go with them. I am going to go with some other type of schooling fish, so if you have any other suggestions besides danios please let me know. Something that would live well with gourami or maybe cichlid

sspitfire

AC Members
Aug 12, 2007
MD
I know I said this already, but check out the various rasboras.. they are very attractive home in your tank (much more than at the store)

Phil22

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
I have a school of serpaes (6) that hang together fairly well, but not tight. I also have a school of 12 gold barbs...I'd say 8-10 are usually together, with a few straglers here and there. I do have 1 pearl gourmis in with them..they get along fine.
I think you'll find that unless you have a fish in with them that makes them nervous, most schooling fish will loosen up over time.
I will say I agree with most above, in that if I were to do it all over again, I'd get a minimum of 12+ per school. I'm considering exchanging a few fish in my 55 for another 6 serpaes.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
first decide which centerpiece fish you want.
from there you can work on the other stock.

that sadi I am partial to angels.discus and rams. but look claosely at their requirements.. discus should be kept in a shoal(they shoal nicely btw)
figure a minimum of 10 g per adult 4 fish is the minimum recomendations (5 is better) that means you would need a 50 g tank.

angels can be kept singly..angels will try and successfuly consume small tetras and Oto's(personal ecxperience)
so larger tetras work Black neons get close to 2" as do cardinals(black neons are bout 1/2 the cost) bn's do well with angels and most SA cichlids.

you could of course is to go with a theme tank or biotope tank.

devlyyn

AC Members
Sep 18, 2007
I saw a group of about 15-20 bloodfin tetras at my LFS and they were schooling VERY tightly. I think the key for having a nice school is to get more numbers of the same species coupled with a few larger fish to make them nervous. I have 6 albino tiger barbs in my 29 gallon tank that school pretty nicely as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store