What type of skimmer do you use?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
The seaclone puts lots of micro bubles back into the tank no skimmer box for the pump and VERY difficult to try to dial in. I would suggest a CSS Skimmer they are very reasonably priced, the Aqua C Remora is a very good skimmer but costs a little more, then there is the Deltec that might be the best hang on but very pricey.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I use Deltec, but they are pricey. Something comparable would be the Orca skimmer line, Octopus skimmers, newer Euroreef, etc. As far as hang ons, again the Deltec line is superb, but I have heard good things about the octopus ones, as well. From my experience (and that of others I have spoken to), the AquaC remora is a bit of a hit or miss skimmer.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
doe.s anyone know what a v2skim is like
I've got the V2 1000. I've never had a skimmer before so can't compare it to anything. What I will say is that it's quiet, it seems to be efficient (I'm certainly getting some stinky skimate) and I don't how I managed to go 3 years without one!!!

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
ive tried skimemrless and a few different skimmers. ive found that you honestly do get what you pay for for the most part, and IMO, a skimmer is not something you want to gowithout, nor it is something that you should take a shortcut on.
i had a corelife super skimmer on a 65. it pulled out some good stuff most of the time, but it woudlsometimes get pretty picky...
then i got an aqua C remora with the preskimmer and a 500 gph pump. it worked pretty well, but i still wanted a little more for my 40 gallon
(i really like to overdo stuff like this) so i got a deltec MC 500 skimmer. awesome... that's all there is to say. :)
i would recomend the 3 above in this order: deltec, remora,super skimmer :)

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I'm using the Remora Pro, myself. If I ever go sump, I'll probably invest in a Deltec or equivalent.
Even with 'Purigen' and 'Magnavore Pura Complete' filtering the water, my skimmer still pulls copious amounts of dark, smelly nasties out of the water.

Dustin83

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Orange County, CA
What about those Odyssea Pro Pack skimmers? I also saw on aquatraders that they have a 14" hob refugium with a skimmer built in. Anyone have any input on them?
I'll answer this one. Seems like it hasn't been answered, yet.

I WOULD HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO NOT GET THAT. I made a mistake of buying a odyssea skimmer years ago when I first jumped into the hobby. It is actually a same company as JEBO. The issue with their product is the reliability. I know they're much cheaper in all their products compared to others, but with less price, comes the cost of unreliability. It actually does work pretty effectively. It produced ton of stuff when I had it. But like most of Jebo products out there, it did not last me fore more than few months. All the parts are made out of cheap plastics and it is likely going to break down within few months.

All the other suggestions above, I believe, are good skimmers. Look into investing little bit up front. It'll do you a favor in the long run.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store