What Was Your GATEWAY Fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pacu mom

AC Members
Oct 30, 2006
Wow that's amazing! Was it a custom job, or do they actually sell them that large? Can't wait to see how it turns out!!!
You can have any sized tank built. Here's the backside (with 8' of external overflow boxes) the day we moved it home. My husband made the stand out of 3 1/2" tubular steel. We had the stand powder coated. It took a large pallet jack to move the stand and tank around.

sump

To do a tank upgrade, we had to do an addition to our house. It turned out to be a DIY affair which is why it is taking so long to accomplish. The tank is now in-wall, but we have a lot to do before it can be set up.

Last edited:

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
Wow, awsome!

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
I kinda got interested when I 'saved' 2 goldfish at a church thing when I was 14. We didn't have internet yet and dad claimed he knew about taking care of them cause he'd had a tank of guppy's (like 50 years ago, lol), so all we did (lil sis got one too, but she didn't want to take care of hers as much) was 'age' the water by letting it sit out overnight/allday and I had 2 'bowls' (one was a crystal ice bucket, the other was a large acorn shaped anchor hocking glass jar). I changed the water 2 a day completely and washed their bowls out with hot water everday. No aeration, no filtration. They lived about 3 months.
But, at the carnival, older sis and I were there to help, every time the fish buckets water was low they told us to fill a large bucket with cold tap water and pour in with them, so I'm surprised they lived as long as they did.

It took a while before I was interested in fish again.
Some years ago lil sis brough over her new red betta boy. THIS is when I decided I needed fish, lol. That's also when I decided I'd get female betta fish instead of males (at least mostly), cause they are so overlooked. Unfortunately, the 'research' I did was nearly all wrong, but luckily for the surviving fish, I found this place not too long after. (and later found out about cycling, whoops!)

Thus my love affair and betta addiction began... :D

(Fishkeeping is not a hobby, it is a life-style choice, and it is mine! :D )

pacu mom

AC Members
Oct 30, 2006
We had a very poor ignorant newbie start, but the final outcome is turning out OK for our two remaining fish.

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
My grandmother had an aquarium when I was a kid and I thought it was cool. We always stuck to cats and dogs and livestock on the farm. When I was about 20 when I moved out of my parents' house into a place where a 29 gallon had been left behind with a few goldfish in it. I was told that I could keep it if I wanted, so I did. Like the OP, I was diligent to make sure my fish didn't really have a fighting chance. I would move the fish to a bucket, completely empty the tank and bleach and scrub everything. I put in new filter media every time I did that as well. And the fish kept dying on me...go figure!

Eventually I saw a freshwater stingray at a pet shop. I thought it would be pretty stinkin awesome to own one, and of course I was told that my tank was plenty big enough and I just needed to clear out a portion of the bottom to give him some sand to rest on. No problem, I thought. So I bought it and brought it home, and only after the fact, I decided I should learn a little more about taking care of it (poor guy never had a chance). That is what brought me to AC. I joined up, started asking questions, and quickly realized I was an idiot. But after learning how to keep an aquarium healthy, I started building a good setup and I was hooked! I've had my share of setbacks and losses along the way, but still love learning and trying new things.

ksterling

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Real Name
Kristin
Goldfish at a fair when I was 7 & then a ten gallon with a red tail shark when I was 10. I'm 32 now & still love em :p

Sent from my SCH-I405 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
When I was about twelve, my dad had about a 55 gallon community tank with silver dollars, common pleco, bala sharks, and red tinfoil barbs(oh how when I look back I realise what he did wrong!) Eventually he just got rid of the tank, but ever since I have had a love for bala sharks and large aquarium fish, I have learned from his mistakes though. Unfortunatly, I can't keep bala sharks or plecos alive if my life depended on it!
I enjoy reading everyone's stories!

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

biggdadyapisto

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
Florida
www.myspace.com
a dojo loach and then what locked me in was a Lamprologus ocellatus female and her shell she had babies. I've loved it ever since I wasn't the best fish husband ever till I got a job and started learning but I did the best I could with the knowledge I had.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store