What will eat leftover food, poop or nitrates???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
less feeding and more cleaning .... what eats it all ? sucking it up in a hose and adding new water. easy and your problem is instantly taken care of .:lol: snails make poop, nitrates and they eat the food but not all of it so less feeding is in order.

BreezeRuehls

I own you
Mar 8, 2009
Virginia Beach
Oh I know, My stats are good, and I vac weekly with the 40%wc. I was just wondering if the info my LFS was giving me was correct, or if they just wanted my 75c a snail.....

tjroihenu

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Toronto
Would you eat your own poop? Haha.

But for left overs and such. Snails or Shrimps.

I've actually seen my Shrimps eat poop though.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Some critters eat "leftover" food, but ideally you just feed enough for the fish you have. Bacteria eats poop, which ultimately turns into nitrate, which gets "eaten" by plants, but leaving the poop in there is not a good idea. You could get higher nitrate levels than your plants can handle and there will be a buildup of other substances we can't test for.

So, to make a long post short... Yeah, what granny said. :)

EDIT: If they told you snails eat poop, I'd say they're full of it. I haven't seen anybody saying snails eat poop. Algae, yes. Poop, no.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
it kind of depends.. sometimes the food is not digested to the point where all the nutrients are gone.. as a result some critters may actually eat the poo.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
What will eat...

Leftover food? Most inverts or fish (to some degree).
Poop? Python.
Nitrate? Water change.

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
overfed snails reproduce at a rapid rate! best advise is cut down on feedings and keep up with the gravel vacs.

BreezeRuehls

I own you
Mar 8, 2009
Virginia Beach
:)I don't overfeed, Have no nitrate problems, I was just wondering if the info my LFS was giving me was correct, or if they just wanted my 75c a snail..... Thank you all for the feed back....:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store