what would be more economical

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquacutlure

THE FURRY BEAST
Jun 13, 2009
REDDING, CA
well i have decidd to get 100w visitherm stealth heater for about 37 us dollars from my lfs.

thanks everyone for explaining this to me.

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
even if heating your room to tank temperature was more economical....do you really want to sit in a 84* room to watch your fish? i am assuming you have to heat your room to 84* to keep your tank at 76*....
:iagree:

luckydud13

Did you hear that?
Jun 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Heres what I do, in my fish room (fish closet :/) its about10 feet by 6 feet. The only way any cool or warm air can get in there is via the one vent, during the summer I keep it closed so the AC doesnt get in there, and if I went to check the temps of my tanks right now they are.....a nearly perfect 76 degrees.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
One of my LFS's keeps the store around 80-82 degrees and it will get a little warmer in the summer. I'm not sure if its really saving any money without having to use individual heaters, but I'll just say that its not a very comfortable place to work at ;)

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
What would be most economical would be if someone could invent "wet suits" for fish... this would help them keep up their body temperatures and mean you'd need to heat the tank less.

And before anyone points out that fish are cold-blooded- that is true, but even cold blooded animals give off a little heat due to bodily functions.

What would also be great would be if someone could design mini-snorkels for the fish so they could breathe whilst under water... um.... ;)

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
wet suits only slow the loss of heat.
a dry suit slows it even more but prob not good for the fish.

;)

mike surtees

AC Members
Sep 22, 2009
Hi Whichever way you look at it, heat in the tank will balance with the heat in the room,or visa/versa which ever is the hotter. The room ambient temp is reached by sharing the common available volume of heated water plus whatever other heat soarse is in the room. Iff the tank is hotter than the room ambient temp it will be absorbed by same and in effect reduce the cost of the house electric bill, iff it is significant. So the answer to your question has to be iff you wish to save money, let the room temp control your tank. Iff you wish to have the correct temp for your fish, then put your tank heater on and sadly except it is going to cost you extra money. Common sense really, think about it. Regards.

shwank005

Mmmbeer
Feb 20, 2009
Morgan Hill, CA
What would also be great would be if someone could design mini-snorkels for the fish so they could breathe whilst under water... um.... ;)
Ya know what would be better? If we just gave them straws and a glass of water, then we'd eliminate the whole hassle of keeping them in a tank.:huh:

As to the heating question: I currently have about 300 gallons in my fish room, and lots of insulation. I have one 750 watt floor heater and it keeps the room, and the tanks at acceptable temps without being on very much. I also have AC for the summer that runs only a couple hours in the afternoon. If nothing else, I save money on having to buy a new heater for every tank, and all the extension cords and wiring mess that would create for the eventual thirty some tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store