What would you pay for MTS at auction?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
They're parthenogenetic anyway... which means you only need one. From what I've read they are all female and give live birth to female only snails. Weirdos.

Snails seem pretty diverse that way. Pond snails are supposed to be both sexes, and apple snails are male or female only.

Also, I have never paid for them... they're like pond snails and come in on the plants/with the fish unexpected. Unless there is some larger, prettier species I haven't heard about I'm kind of surprised they would charge you for it. Most LFS will let you collect as many as you want for free in my experience. They tend to be abundant in the plant tank.

Last edited:

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
There are some male MTS out there, I believe, but I've read that NONE of the ones in the hobby are male because of the prolificacy of the females in parthogenesis.

Anonapersona, if I can't get them for free, I will be sure to pm you! Thanks very much for the offer. :)

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
The only source I had on the parthenogenesis was that apple snail book we mentioned in the other thread. That's interesting about the males. Have you found any good sites on these? They're one of my favorites... make me think of earthworms for the tank.

Dapple2

AC Members
Jul 3, 2003
Oregon
pictures.care2.com
99 cents for an MTS?! I can't imagine that any shop wouldn't give some freebies with a plant no matter how many you scooped up... That someone would bother to aution them is even more incredible.....but then again, I saw someone put pond snails up once too....:rolleyes:

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Hell, if I get a culture going, I'll start putting them up on eBay, too! Someone, apparently, will buy them...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store