What would you say...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquacutlure

THE FURRY BEAST
Jun 13, 2009
REDDING, CA
What would you say be the preferred setup for these fish: 1 Ryukin, 1 Black moor or ryukin, and 3 spotted rapheals? I do not want decor suggestions or decor arrangements. I am wondering which sized tank and type of filter would be the perfect fit.

Right now I have one ryukin that is 2 inches and one spotted rapheal that's 3-4 inches in a 20 gallon high with a Hydor II sponge filter, powered by air pump. I know these species of fish prefer to be in pairs to small groups so that is my reason for wanting to get more fish.

My thinking on the situation would be a 40 breeder and a filter that has a power head (of 100-200gph) pump water to the top of the tank into a divided chamber that would have the water hit mats then open cell sponge and then water fall back into the tank onto the other side.

Those my idea sound like the perfect fit if not, please propose your ideas.
Thanks.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
I'd look at a 75 gallon tank for those 5 fish. They really need the water volume to prevent stunting and the 18" width for comfort when they get larger. It might seem like a lot of tank for very little fish but they'll grow into it.

As for filtration for goldfish - any method that moves 5-6x the water of the tank per hour over the media is good.

For my 125 I've got two canisters each rated at 350gph. It works well. I've tried it with less filtration and had to clean out the filters every two weeks when they clogged. Now I can go 6-8 weeks before cleaning is needed.

BTW the more media you move the water over the less cleaning you do.

Your idea sounds like it will work it just needs to go BIGGER.

aquacutlure

THE FURRY BEAST
Jun 13, 2009
REDDING, CA
Really. Hmm. I thought they would be fine in the 40.

So far I am keeping the 1 ryukin and 1 spotted rapheal in the 20 high. I just figured since the ryukins and spotted rapheals max out in the six inch length the 40 would be fine.

Well so far my Ryukin is following around the spotted and only comes out at night just like the spotted.

Would the 20 be good with three fish;one of these combos: 2 rapheals, 1 ryukin or 2 ryukins and 1 rapheal?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Ryukins grow bigger than the 6" mark. It's why The V is correct in suggesting you the tank size of at least 75g. Give them the best conditions possible and your goldfish will more than likely to attain that size.

I'm sorry but a 20g high is just not appropriate in the long run. Upgrade the tank would be my best advice for you.

I don't think I'd combine black moors and raphaels together. Their eyes are prone to injuries and theyare also prone to crashing into anything when they are unable to see properly.

aquacutlure

THE FURRY BEAST
Jun 13, 2009
REDDING, CA
Okay. What are ryukins true max length?

Also are ryukins good being mixed with regular goldfish? I have a 300 that has large south american catfish dont harass or eat anything living and koi and a blue and white shubunkin.

If that wont work then craigslist to the rescue.

aquacutlure

THE FURRY BEAST
Jun 13, 2009
REDDING, CA
Then my ryukin will go with the catfish and koi and larger shubunkin. Ill grow her out to double the size shes at now. Thanks V and thanks Lup for reassuring me. The ryukin is blue white and black on one side and on the other blue orange black and white. Orange is the submissive color on her for now.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I wouldn't combine the ryukin with a koi if I were you. Doesn't really work well except with singletails. Koi tend to be a little more aggressive and boisterous. I've seen countless cases of koi attacking fancy goldies.

aquacutlure

THE FURRY BEAST
Jun 13, 2009
REDDING, CA
what do they attack on the fancies? Mine are boistrous, they scare off my young oscar durring feeding time, other wise they seem to just swim. My catfish even though most are over 12 inches, cuddle up together and sleep most of the time then eat pellets or dead seafood.

Note: All of my fish are younger then 2 years old.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
In several instances, they can collide and injure their much slower cousins and even court violently female fancies. It's exactly for this reason koi and fancy varieties of goldies should not be mixed as a precaution.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store