What's going on with this thing??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

New Reefer

AC Members
I've started pulling out some of the c.c.
I'm gonna do a little each night after "lights out" to try and minimize stress.
Actually, I think that removing the cc during the day would cause less stress, as the fish would be able to see that you're not "hunting" them. Depending on how long you've had the cc in the tank, there is bound to be some detritus which will cloud the water - for this reason, I would recommend that you keep the cannister filter working with all the media you have in it.

So, lemme get this straight: Run my canister filter with NOTHING in it? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the filter altogether?
Yes, remove EVERYTHING (but not yet, as discussed above...)

You will only use the canister as another water pump, and not as a filter. In a properly set up reef tank, the deep sand bed and/or live rock would be the filter, and you only need to provide good water movement (and of course proper lighting for the corals...). By the way, the canister filter is handy to run carbon in for short periods, so don't discard it completely

Right now, I have bio media, carbon, mech. filter and filter sponge in there.
The way your filtration is currently set up it is essential to keep the cannister filter running "as is" untill the natural deep sand & live rock "filter" has matured. I would suggest that you only change one thing at a time - first the sand, then add some more live rock if needed (how much do you have in your tank anyway???), and then slowly remove the cannister filter media over a period of a few weeks.

Remember, be patient - ONLY BAD THINGS HAPPEN QUICKLY in a marine tank.

Oh, and do lots of reading on forums such as this, and perhaps get a good beginners book as well.

Hennie

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Just to clarify a bit . I was saying remove the damsels after lights out not the c.c.

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
Makes sense...
I'm pulling a little c.c. at a time, and allowing everything to settle before going after more. As for the canister, I wasn't planning on making changes to the filtration system until the sand was established.

Seems a waste to use the canister for just circulation, though. I have two power heads I'm not even using. I could've used those if I'd started with the live sand... Oh well; live and learn, I guess...

As for how much live rock I have; I lost count on the poundage.. I'll post a pic of the whole tank for reference as it is right now...

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
Now, don't laugh at the retarded "Nemo" material around my stand.. It's a temporary thing, and since my wife runs an "in home" daycare, she thought it was cute.

I did not...

Anyway, here's the tank as is..

The hood was custom built by me and my father. He loves woodworking..
I love fabrication and design..

100_0849.JPG

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
The fake coral is going, too...

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
LMAO..... :rofl: .....

I really could not help but laugh....

:sad: I'm gonna change it, I SWEAR!! :sad:

...I told her it was dumb...

New Reefer

AC Members
The hood was custom built by me and my father. He loves woodworking.. I love fabrication and design..
It's a very nice hood - looks quite professional. I expect that Dad will be helping you build a replacement for the "Nemo cover" as well...

I'm not sure if you've mentioned it, but do you have a sump below the tank? If not, you should consider installing one - it makes a handy space to keep all the equipment (such as heaters, skimmer, etc.) out of sight. Oh, and talking of skimmers, do you have one?

Apart from good water movement and lighting, the next most essential piece of equipment for a long-term successful marine aquarium is a good skimmer and/or refugium.

Do a search for "skimmer" and "refugium" on this, and other, sites to learn more.

Hennie

Morgadeth

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
Ft Drum NY
Nice lace!!

I do have a skimmer, and I was thinking about installing a sump...
Is there anything special I would need to know about setting one up, or is it just a secondary chamber I could set up with a smaller aquarium?

The coral removal is progressing well... Man, is that stuff FILTHY!!

I was actually lying in bed this morning, dreaming up a design for a "false cabinet" face I can install right over my existing stand. Being that it's made of angled steel, I can build a panel with doors and mount it with simple clamps from thie inside. No one would know the difference! (Other than anyone who reads this post)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store