Whats my electric bill gonna look like?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SuBXeRo

TaNkAsAuRaUs REX
Jul 22, 2008
NJ and AZ
what the title says. If i get a 72 gallon tank with an eheim 2217 and appropriate heater along with 4 t5 HO bulbs.

The time is getting much closer for me to start really finding a solution to my tankless problem. One of the things i do not want to do is dig myself into a hole with my electric bill each month.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
This has been discussed hundreds of times, I think that the general consensus is that a tank does not make a huge difference on your electric bill.

SuBXeRo

TaNkAsAuRaUs REX
Jul 22, 2008
NJ and AZ
well, none the less, running lights 24/7 and what not does have an impact., this is the only reason why i ask. i mean if its like 20 a month that isnt a problem, just looking for a round about #

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
You probably wont even notice the increase, I run 4 tanks, half with HO lighting and if I base my bill from my previous year, I'm spending about $10-15 more. But I really cant tell.

bextraordinary

AC Members
Feb 13, 2008
East Lansing, MI
Yep... I added a tank and my next month's elec bill was lower.. but only because the fishtank lights now illuminate the room and we don't need the overhead lights anymore.. plus, it's getting cooler and we use the AC less now :grinyes: Results not typical!

Seriously, though.. the minute added difference in your utility bill is possibly the smallest and most inconsequential part of adding a new tank. The most expensive part of owning a tank is setting it up in the first place - after that, it's easy street! :)

oscarluvr

AC Members
May 31, 2008
Texas
pretty close to if you were buying oil at 147.00 a barrel just kidding, not enough to keep you from your fish

Kevin007

AC Members
May 27, 2008
I'm thinkin about it too. 125 Gallon 2 Canister filters (Filster XP3 & Eheim Pro II 2028) and using at least 2 WPG

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
well, none the less, running lights 24/7 and what not does have an impact., this is the only reason why i ask. i mean if its like 20 a month that isnt a problem, just looking for a round about #
Lights shouldn't be run 24/7.

I have 15 running tanks right now and my electric bill is slightly cheaper than before, because I raised my thermostat 2 degrees for AC. If you really want an exact value, you could calculate it based on approximate monthly wattage consumption multiplied by the rate you pay per KWH.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store