Whats my next step??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bknapp

Started a hobby became an obsession
Feb 3, 2009
Nashville, Tn
Sorry all for a in general noob question, but its how we all learn, trying to learn the right way the first time... So I've got a 29 gal SW, with around 7 lbs of LR, 20 lbs of live sand, 10 lbs of base rock. It has been set up for five days (short time I realize, just a tad over anxious, so Im trying to get some info.) So here are my params...

- NH3/NH4: 0pp,
- NO3: 2.5ppm
- Alk: 2.9-3.6
- NO2: 0.1 ppm

- NH3/NH4: Didnt test
- NO3: 2.5 ppm
- NO2: .1 ppm
- pH: 7.8

- NH3/NH4: .5ppm
- NO3: 10ppm
- NO2: .2ppm
- pH: 8.0 (buffered it up to 8.2)

- NO3: 5ppm
- NO2: .5ppm
- pH: 8.3 (did not buffer)

And my SG has been right around 1.022, and current temp is 78.7. And my lighting is two T5HO, one actinic 420/460 and one 6,000K.

Any imput would be greatly appreciated, thanks. I already plan on adding more LR this weekend and ordering/buying a PhosBan Reactor.

Brandon

Last edited:

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Looks like your still on the upswing of the cycle.. just give it time. Really no need to add anything to the tank right now like buffers. I understand your trying to get the pH right at proper levels, but really, 7.8-8.3 is fine. pH will always drop at night and start to rise as soon as the lights go on and will be at its highest right before lights out. I don't think you really need to test Alk that often at this stage either. Once a week is fine for testing Alk during the cycle. Save your Alk test kit for later down the road when you really need it.

bknapp

Feb 3, 2009
Nashville, Tn
So... should I add more live rock, a PhosBan reactor, and another Koralia? I currently have an HOB for extra circulation (only thing in it is a small peice of carbon)... Or should I just wait?? Thanks for the imput!

So what should I test for and how often should I test for it?? And is there anything I am not testing for in which I should?

Sorry for all the questions, I just dont want to make a stupid mistake and mess this all up... So if y'all could just bear with me and help... THANKS!!!

Last edited:

bknapp

Feb 3, 2009
Nashville, Tn
So here are the test results for the day:

- NH3/NH4: 2.5 ppm
- NO3: 5.0 pp,
- NO2: .2 ppm
- pH: 8.4

I guess the pH has leveled out, havent buffered it in two days and its in the correct range, we shall see how that goes. And I guess I finally need to plug my heater in, the tank temp has fallen to 74.5, when I was previously started having problems getting it below 80, so I guess what I did worked, which is great because it has cooled my bedroom dramtically.

bknapp

Feb 3, 2009
Nashville, Tn
So here are todays params

- NO3: 5.0 ppm
- NO2: *

*Tested for NO2 three times and came back with inconclusive test resluts, all three times it came back clear, which the lightest and closest result would be 0.1ppm, LFS also tested today and they said everything was fine...

Also added two more pounds of live rock today, and got a bag of sand from one of their tanks to help speed this process along a little bit (not that I am trying to rush, dont really have the funds until next week to do anymore.) So that brings me up to nine pounds of live rock, ten pounds of base rock, and fourty pounds of live sand. The temp has leveled out from anywhere between 80 and 81 degrees, a degree fluxuation shouldnt matter much, should it?

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
Temp wild swings are bad...but to do that would take effort to make a tank go into wild swings in temp.

Gradual changes in temp are not terrible...my tank floats between 78-81 depending on the day.

Try to just keep temp from getting to high or too low...you should find a sweet spot on that heater so that at peak lighting hours the tank shouldn't be climbing over 81 ...even if your tank hits like 86 for a short period its ok...but any longer its bad.

It depends on your place to. My climate is always cool here...so my temp is easy to maintain...only on hot streaks once in a blue moon do I have to shut off my lights early...and put RO Ice blocks in the sump to keep the temp down...

Wait this out and relax....you are worrying over parameters in a time where they are supposed to bounce around. Wait a few weeks

bknapp

Feb 3, 2009
Nashville, Tn
I know that they are supposed to swing I am just trying to keep track of everything and have somewhere I can go to in six months and see where I was and compare it to where I am.

Didn't test yesterday, here are todays

- NO3: 5.0ppm
- NO2: Still nothing registered

Added two more pounds of LR today, my LFS got a new shipment in late Friday night, so they had a pretty good assortment today.

Heres a quick FTS as of now, wish I wouldv'e painted the background on (you'd think being a car painter for a living I would,) it wouldv'e made it look a ton better. I will be removing the HOB filter once I add another Koralia in a couple of weeks, will probably also be adding a PhosBan reactor soon also.

Picture 022.jpg Picture 030.jpg Picture 029.jpg

bknapp

Feb 3, 2009
Nashville, Tn
Yeah, I am definitly planning on more rock (at $10/lbs, its not cheap), I would like to have around 35lbs of live ontop of the ten pounds of base rock. Yes to the protein skimmer Red Sea Prizm (not very liked here, but heard good things at the LFS.) As far as stocking I really havent gotten that far, I am just trying to get everything set up 100% before I even worry about it, but if my two year olds have any say there will be a clown, as they are totally obssesed with Nemo. I was gonna walk around my LFS and write down the fish that I am interested in and do some research on them and ask peoples opinions on them, before adding any. As of now there is about 500gph, I couldnt find any details about the skimmers movement, but I am looking into another Koralia. As in the future I would like to keep some hardier corals.

Thank you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store