What's the longest you've left your tank to run itself while on vacation?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jayghmi

Senior Member Wannabe
Feb 3, 2007
Western Michigan
My biggest concern would be evaporation. I run without a cover and I put in about 4 gallons a week of RO top off water in a 46 bow. My specific gravity would skyrocket without the top offs and my skimmer motor would run dry. I pay to have someone come into the house and top off when I am gone.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
As he mentioned, he has an auto top off unit.

I don't know the size of his particular reservoir, but I use a 10g tank underneath my 29g just for a reservoir.

YMMV. ;)

rsw686

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia
I've left my tank for a week without attention. I just use a auto feeder and auto top off. It is no different than me being there for the week besides the fact that I'm not cleaning the glass. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I also have a network camera so I can check on it remotely. Worst case you call a friend to stop by if you notice an issue.

biggy_boie

AC Members
Jan 27, 2008
victoria harbour ontario
i just moved from my inlaws and left the tank for two weeks with only one top off on the weekend in the middle. i turned my light cycle down and droped my spec grav so that when water evap it would not spike super high. i didnt lose any fish or coral in the time away or in the move and upgrade

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store