whats with the * in "pl*co" ???????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BK

AC Members
Apr 29, 2001
WI
members.aol.com
there a myth that if you talk about your pl*co on the net and don't use an * for an e it will die.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
That is one of the older web superstitions/myths. If some folks chose to advertize that they are superstitious, it is probably more polite to not notice.

Writing out pleco, or even plecostomos, has never been a problem for me. Plecostomus plecostomus was once the scientific name of the "common" pleco, but that was revised to Hypostomus plecostomus, and now has been subdivided into several species. I'm not certain there is a fish with the real name "plecostomus" any more, so I am not sure what fish is supposed to die if you write pleco, or how this is supposed to happen.

Off-topic: Thanks for the email.

RENEGADE

the one and only RENEGADE
Mar 19, 2003
Los Angeles CA
Visit site
RE: offtopic: no prob
topic: i didn't know there were internet superstitions?!?!(but i'm not worryed i don't beleave in them)

BK

AC Members
Apr 29, 2001
WI
members.aol.com
On some sites when you type it in it automatically changes to pl*co because of the settings on the language filters.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
The whole myth started that two people were writing to each other and one spelled pleco and the next day it was dead they told someone else they wrote pleco and theres died so it just spread through the net to were it is write now. But my guess is they were all friends and took care of the fish the same way didnt know what they were doing and well killed there pleco's and said its a curse write pl*co or your pleco will die.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
You have to remember how delicate the (then-)newer species of plecs were when the whole internet thing erupted. Most of them were wild-caught, but nobody knew their requirements for keeping at the time...thus they would die right away...whether or not their owner wrote their "name" on the 'Net.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store