What's wrong with my plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Winterose

AngelFish Lover
Sep 6, 2008
Conneticut
www.kaligh.com
I just put new plants in my tank about a week ago, and the plants are loosing their leaves from the bottom up!!!!

image.jpeg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That's not uncommon for new plants as they adjust to your tank. The new growth closer to the lights is happy but lower older leaves are lost. I see you have gravel, sometimes the roots/stems are damaged & the bottoms will rot. What lighting/tank do you have? What's your nitrate level? If the tops continue to grow, you can pinch off the good parts & replant.

Reactions: ROYWS3

Winterose

AngelFish Lover
Sep 6, 2008
Conneticut
www.kaligh.com
ok thanks,

I just have a full spectrum light in there night now, It came with the hood, which I was told would be ok to use? I have gravel on top and a plant substrate under it, but its still kinda grainy. I do dose some ferts, but I don't have CO2 set up in the tank. not really sure where to start with that.

My Water tests are as follows:

PH: 7.4
Ammonia: .25 ppm (I don't think i'll ever get a 0ppm reading on this -.-)
Nitrite: o ppm
Nitrate: 40ppm

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
They're all stem plants so cut off the unhealthy bottom half and replant the top half (healthy growing tips). Separate the bunches a bit more, as well. It possibly looks like some of the plants are being nibbled a bit by the fish.

Reactions: ROYWS3

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Lighting looks bright, but that doesn't mean much in terms of keeping plants. What size tank? Is this an LED or fluorescent hood?

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I second the notion of cutting off the bottoms and replanting while also separating the plants out a tad more. With some of the small stem plants I was told to do two or three stems to a bunch at most.

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
Plants are adjusting to new environment, some plants will not make it.
What is the water temp?
Some plants are OK and some are not?
Replant as stated add some root tabs, whats in your substrate?
What ferts, provide more details
Are you adding anything to the water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store