When to euthanize?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

angyles

AC Members
Nov 4, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
blue2fyre, I'm not sure how exactly you're considered a 'noob' with 1600 posts over the last 1.5 years, but regardless, I think it's obvious the majority of us on here think you did the right thing.

If someone feels otherwise, that's fine. They can let their fish all die naturally. To each their own. Nothing wrong with kindly saying "I don't agree and think you should let it die naturally" either. But some people need to heed the advie of Thumper's mother. "If you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all"

no need to be a jerk

arise1dwr

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
Chicago
just throwing in my two cents dont but how do you know she hadnt just reached an age where she wanted to just chill out? take life a bit slower? how do you know she was suffering, just because she wouldnt "own" the tank anymore? other than her lethargy she seemed perfectly healthy, did she not?

Please dont take this as me bashing you because I just came across this decision the other day i just want to hear everyones thoughts.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
She had lost a significant amount a weight, had clamped fins, wobbled when she swam and just hung out near the top most of the day. On the day I decided she was too far gone she was just laying on the bottom of the tank barely breathing. Mbuna are very active fish, constantly chasing and exploring. She didn't do any of these things.

arise1dwr

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
Chicago
well it sound like u made the right call then, it seems like u checked into every medical possibility before deciding to kill the fish. Killing any creature will always bring out strong reactions so lets not all start calling ppl a holes. It is a testy subject with heavy opinions and granted he came out with a full head of steam bashing blue2fry, but verbally attacking him makes us no better. lets hope ur fish made it to the big toilet bowl in the sky

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
sorry about that i was ticked of at him. Shouldn't have called him an ****. Bad call on my part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
wow, two really dumb comments. I've had cats, dogs and fish that I would rather put down peacefully before EVER letting them suffer like they had. In fact I've got a betta with dropsy, which I doubt will do even make it, I've had her a little over two weeks, I like her, she was one of my favorites, so you believe me when I say I hate to say that it would be best to put her out of my misery.

I don't put a fish down because they arn't my favorite. In fact bettas are one of my favorites. I disliked the angel I had cause he/she was a bully put I didn't go and put it down, I gave it a new home instead.

Next time Gagayila, Think before you stick your foot in mouth like that again.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Blue2Fyre, I am sorry for your loss, and you clearly did the right thing. Anyone with any experience who has had a fish suffer (favorite or not) understands your position and your decision.

It amazes me that people will get on their high horses when the OP obviously is suffering a dilemma and needs support. Such a response smacks of an immature self-righteousness that is not at all flattering to the poster(s).

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Thanks for judging without the full information.
First of all she hated the other M. greshakei. She would constantly chase the male into hiding and refused to breed with him Second she remained in the tank with a lot of other mbuna and was perfectly normal. She even seemed happier with the others gone. She really became less aggressive once the male was gone. She was healthy up until a couple months ago. I rehomed the M. greshakei last April.

Anyway she's gone now. Thank you for the support.
I wasnt judging by any means. Just an observation based on what I read in the first post, hence the reason my post started out "Sounds like..."

I am always for the humane treatment of all critters, great and small. A loss is never easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store