where do you get sand for substrate for aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cekmgreen

AC Members
Apr 4, 2012
im looking around for the cheapest idea for substrate im going planted pretty low tech i hope for now i just want to do this once not 10 times haha i havea 150g tank i have aready taken apart a few times and dont like it i just want to do my set up one time and be done.... any ideas will help i was thinking the sand becuase its cheap i really want black tho but sand will do.

Krilorn

AC Members
May 11, 2009
Nebraska
Play sand from just about anywhere will work. Just have to make sure that you wash it a TON before you put in and fill the tank, otherwise you will end up with lots of debris in the water.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
play sand..comes in dark gray to tan.

5$ for 50 lbs.

get a 5 gallon bucket and fill it about 1/4-1/2 full ..turn the hose on full blast..fill bucket with water ..dump out water, stir the sand up with the running water..dump fill stir..repeat until water runs clear ( 10-15 mins)

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Get pool filter sand. It is also cheap but you don't have to do as much rinsing. I have seen some people use black diamond sand blasting sand from tractor supply. It looks nice and is also pretty cheap. If you go to monsterfishkeepers and search black diamond, you will get some threads on it.

cekmgreen

AC Members
Apr 4, 2012
ok cool i wanted to go 2 or 3 inches thick in my tank so i can put my plants and stuff in it and kind of give it a ruff turan look kind of hilly not just flat and plain. is it ok to put it in the tank thick and will the plants be ok with it im going with one big peice of driftwood as my center peice of tone of easy to care for plants some small fish and let it go.

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
At my local Lowes and Home Depot (Eastern Washington State) they have a sand called "Lane Mt. Sand" that is SUPER clean, as in it only clouded my tank a TEENSY bit and only for maybe an hour. It's a slightly off-white with flecks of black and brown in it, nice and natural, very pretty.

cekmgreen

AC Members
Apr 4, 2012
ok so if i go to my local lowes or menards and get just about any type of sand i like and be ok??? i would hate to buy something and waste time and it kill fish or plants wont grow in it. also is it ok to go 3inches with it? and good for plants

cekmgreen

AC Members
Apr 4, 2012
what about smell to im reading people saying the smell is awful!! is that true i have a c-530 marineland canister in the tank and also two pinquin 350s not running right now but will it really stink because i wont be able to really clean it with a ton of plants in there???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store