Where do you guys find those awesome rocks?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lbbennett

AC Members
Sep 3, 2006
I have first looked at my lfs, but haven't found anything as big as what I've seen in you guys pics, have looked online and not found anything the like. Where do you get these rocks from? My backyard is rockless, so...wait a minute, what about marble? Could I put marble rocks in my cichlid tank? Or do you think that it would mess up the ph or leach something harmful into the water? I just remembered we have a marble plant in town, maybe I could get something from there...

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I get mine from landscaping places and/or gravel/stone suppliers.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Same as Bob. Much cheaper and better selection than the lfs.

In some areas of the Texas hill country landowners will give you the Texas Holey rock for free just to get rid of it. Old streambeds and riverbeds will sometimes have petrified wood buried in the banks. I've collected some nice pieces in the East Texas piney woods.

Mark

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
We actually have a shop down the street from me that sells nothing but rocks.
you can skip the fancy stuff, go straight for the "scrap" and come home with some awesome stuff for cheap:)

DeRo316

Keeper of Cichlids
Nov 23, 2005
Tallahassee, FL.
Landscape stores, Lawn & Garden centers, some hardware stores have rocks in the landscaping section. I got mine from a lawn and garden center, they had a bunch of rock choices, plus I only got a few pounds so they gave them to me for free.

lbbennett

AC Members
Sep 3, 2006
That is pretty cheap! I'll have to check into that...

As far as marble goes, does anyone have an opinion about marble in a fish tank? There's a marble plant in town and they practically give away rocks that don't make the grade for them to sell. I'd just hate to put it in there then find out that it's too rough for fish or that it messes up my tank's parameters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store